movies What's the last film you watched? And rate it!

The Prestige 6/10 - Amazing idea of capturing an inside look at the life of magicians and their lively-hood. Unfortunately I found the whole film to be deprived of excitement and character emotion. I didnt really care what happened to either party, and I found that stemmed from a lack of character background/development.

Not to mention the ending was the cheesiest acting of all time,
during the scene where Alfred shoots Robert and confessions are revealed.

Looper 9/10 this is my favourite film of the year. I thoroughly enjoyed the concept and the twists
despite accidently reading the major spoiler of the protagonist dying, when it happened it made so much sense.
currently if I had to name a favourite actor it would probably be Joseph Gordon-Levitt, which someone noted was one of the reasons they liked Dark Knight.

Skyfall 7.5/10 not a fan of bond at all but enjoyed this one and loved the plot twist of
M getting taken out at the end.
The actor who played the bad dude whose name escapes me did a great job and I really liked the character of Q. My favourite bit was the lighting of the end sequence. So much orange and on the ice just looked amazing :)

Epidemic - Chortled my through this bizarre film. Von Triers middle section of his Europa trilogy. Its spookily similar in approach to Charlie Kaufmans Adaptation, all the way down to the "necessary" inclusion of 'drama'. It's an absolute hotchpotch of ideas and creativity that lacks any real cohesion. A film makers film. 7/10

Sightseers - Kill List meets Shaun of The Dead. A very enjoyable roadtrip through some of the blackest blackcountry humour, glib british countryside, caravans and knitwear. 7.5/10

Amour - I Can't decide whether Haneke is getting worse or getting better. Haven't found his last two films to be as gut wrenching tense as his previous. This is a stunning portrait of mortality and the final decent into death for an elderly couple. Not a date film 8/10

The Cabin in the Woods - 7/10
I'm not at all a horror movie person, but my husband is, so I watched it with him.
Some of it I liked a lot, especially commentary on media and society, and loved Sigourney
Weaver's bit at the end. Best line re virgin: We work with what we've got.

Driving Miss Daisy

9/10: This movie is like a slice of the USA. The movie did a good job showing how things change and don't change with time. First time I watched it all the way.

Reminds me of a story idea I have...

LIFE OF PI - 10/10

Well where do i start with this film? Probably one of the best cinema going experiences I have had. The film will resonate emotionally with everyone who sees it on one level or another.

The cinematography is simple sublime with every shot a splendour to watch.

The story, yet simple but oh does it pack a punch and will leave you with many discussions long into the night with friends about love, faith, beliefs and the human spirit.

"Bad Santa" was on last night, being Christmas and all.
I've seen it a handful of times and still find it quite funny. Behind all the twisted humour Billy Bob Thornton's character/performace is actually more complex and layered than it may seem. 4/5

Sinister - 7/10 : Borrowed many elements from other films, but that kinda worked well in that red-herring way. Dug the ending (aside from the final shot... seriously?!), but I don't see this working as a franchise at all. Some of the lighting was terrible (pretty much everything in the kitchen), but was more moody in other areas. Nice to see a lo-budget flick do well. It earned it.

FrankenWeenie - 4/10 : Tim Burton needs to start makin' original films again. There was nothing in this film that wasn't a generous homage... to films he'd already made himself. The few scenes that weren't plucked from his own previous works were decent nods to various creature-features, but seriously. Enough. I still dig the animation and odd design style, but that's all old hat from his earlier films, too.

I don't wanna sound mean, but the dog should not have been revived at the end, either. A missed opportunity for the kid to "grow" and realise that in life, we really do have to let go at some point.

Would have added another point if it had been a musical, but oh well.

Upcoming movie for this weekend is The Legend of Cooley Moon - my BluRay's been sittin' here a few weeks now. Really need to get caught up with that. :cool:

Saw Les Miserables yesterday. I'm a huge fan of the stage production, seen it a few times. I had very mixed feelings about the cast and the videos I watched in the lead up to its realise gave me the impression I'd be disappointed with this film adaptation.

First the cast. I was never going to like Russell Crowe, I can't stand him, and Hugh Jackman would have had to work hard to win me over. Amanda Seyfried, Eddie Redmayne, and Samantha Barks were all great. Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter were near perfect. But the stand out performances for me were Aaron Tveit as Enjolras, Daniel Huttlestone as Gavroche, and (anyone who knows me won't find this surprising) Anne Hathaway. She was absolutely amazing.

The costuming, sets, make-up, and general look of the film were impressive, but something just didn't sit right with me. I think it was because I watched all those damn behind the scenes clips with people going on about how this was such an epic work that I was expecting more. Maybe if I'd gone in blind I would have been awed.

Finally, the music. I hated most of it. There were a few songs that were spot on, but a lot of the time it seemed like notes that should have been held longer were cut abruptly short (there is a word for this, but I can't think of it right now). Most of the songs were rearranged and shortened, and a few were left out entirely. I did appreciate that a small portion of 'Little People' made it into the film though, because it's often left out of stage productions. I suppose I should mention that I grew up listening to one specific recording of the soundtrack so anything that's not exactly like that sounds off to me. Maybe that makes my opinion somewhat worthless.

Overall, I will no doubt watch it again, and I did enjoy it. I just would have enjoyed it more if I didn't have such an attachment to it being performed a certain way, which isn't the fault of the film makers, is it? :P

Jack Reacher. Good. I think I gotta give it an A. It's not The Godfather, or something, but it's a good, solid piece of entertainment, well made. Thumbs up for me.

Edit: And oh my gosh, I thought it might be, I just looked it up: that is Werner Herzog! That's really cool, and man does he do a nice job playing the sinister villian.

Last edited:
Safety Not Guaranteed - 7.5/10
Good show if you appreciate goofy, offbeat films.
You probably should watch it.
Not bad for $750k.

Hobo With A Shotgun - Seen it before, piecemeal. Watched it with group of friends. Really dig the colour work. It's awesome. I will be very sad if this is the film Rutger Hauer's remembered for, though.

Reel Bad Arabs - Opinion-piece on Hollywood's portrayal of Arabs in film. Mainly a long list of films with stereotypes, for better or for worse. Not as in depth as I had anticipated.

Back