Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Tools of the Trade > Computers/Software

Old 08-13-2018, 05:15 PM   #106
Modern Day Myth Prod. LLC
Premiere Member

Well, I stand corrected. However, the biggest payback for rendering comes with the most powerful CPU, as discussed here. I need to keep up more with these new video cards. But, the CPU gives the biggest boost.

https://www.videoeditingsage.com/ren...o-editing.html
Modern Day Myth Prod. LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 08-13-2018, 08:58 PM   #107
Sweetie
Basic Member

#AllGeneralizationsAreFalse

It all depends on how the software uses the hardware.

As for the CPU, it depends on how the software utilizes the cores to what's the best. Take Premiere Pro for example. It uses the first 4 cores efficiently, cores 5 and 6 so so, but the rest it wastes, so an i7 8700k with 6 fast cores performs better than an i9 for lots of slower cores.

Also take Resolve. It offloads as much of the grunt work to the video card but it also uses as many cores as you can throw at it. Without a good video card, it runs like a dog.

Editing technology is evolving. There is a move towards software using the video card more and more.
Sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:23 PM   #108
Premiere Member

Now, who is oversimplifying the rendering? In the article, more factors are examined, such as the amount of layers being rendered, pre-rendering vs. rendering from scratch
On the hardware end, the CPU, amount of memory, type of hard drive, and video card all factor into rendering video.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:58 AM   #109
Premiere Member

I posted this article on a few filmmaker and video editing groups on FB. The most popular factor for faster rendering is the type of hard drive, namely the SSD hard drive gives the best performance for rendering video with various video editing programs. Then, there’s the way the video editing software is written with video cards and CPUs with the most cores. Sweetie is right about the changing market. However, filmmakers and editors are recommending the SSD drive for best rendering performance.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:47 AM   #110
Sweetie
Basic Member

Quote:
I posted this article on a few filmmaker and video editing groups on FB. The most popular factor for faster rendering is the type of hard drive
Because being popular on Facebook always derives the best answer... for example the millions of people boycotting Steven Spielberg films due to him hunting a dinosaur, almost to extinction.

Quote:
Now, who is oversimplifying the rendering?
Quote:
It all depends on how the software uses the hardware.
I'm not sure why you think that is simple.

The best way to increase performance and render times is to identify and deal with bottlenecks. The issue with those bottlenecks, there are many factors and they can also be hard to identify, not to mention, occasionally quirky.

Quote:
However, filmmakers and editors are recommending the SSD drive for best rendering performance.
You do understand that most modern mechanical drives suitable for editing can can sustain enough throughput to handle the majority of media right?
Sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote