George Clooney - AFI Life Achievement Award

This means Clooney's contribution is more or less equivalent to the previous recipients of the award - Alfred Hitchcock, Billy Wilder, Frank Capra, Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese, Clint Eastwood, John Williams, Al Pacino, Robert De Niro and few more. Each of these recipients have at least 5 masterpiece films but I couldn't even think of 1 masterpiece film for George Clooney (O Brother, Where Art Thou?, Up in the Air, Michael Clayton are good movies but not masterpiece films). He is a decent actor but AFI Life Achievement Award, really? Is he better than these deserving candidates - Francis Ford Coppola, Woody Allen, Ennio Morricone, Roger Deakins and many more?

Kimmel who came to the stage to praise him talked about his 'pranking' skills and none about the films he made. Does anyone think Clooney deserves this award? Any thoughts?

He certainly hasn't directed any masterpieces.
I'm looking at you "The monuments men"

So I'm thinking he got this award for his achievements with acting and it's out of place to compare him to a director like Francis Ford Coppola

Clooney was great in Gravity

Argo, Syriana, The Ides of March, Good Night and Good Luck

I think Up In the Air is underrated. I watched it for the 3rd time recently, and inside the humor is excellent commentary on the importance of dealing with people face to face - or IRL if you prefer - in an age when that is increasingly rare.

Argo, Syriana, The Ides of March, Good Night and Good Luck

I forgot about Syriana. Great flick. Clooney's performance in that one was fantastically heavy. I feel that might have been the "geo political thriller" that, in some small way, primed the American audience for a film like "Sicario" to do as well as it did.

Back