• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

My microphone blimp is too big to fit in most locations!

I got it cause I was having problems with wind getting into the mic, as I moved the mic from actor to actor. But most indoors locations cannot fit the blimp in high enough without it being seen in the camera. It was much bigger than I though it was when you see it online. So it seems I cannot use it, but I still got the problems with wind getting in the mic. Any thoughts on this, or what I can do?

How do you people use a blimp indoors, since it's a movie making standard?

Last edited:
The blimp is approximately 18.5.

Then you bought the wrong fookin' blimp.

When I shift the mic from person to person I move to fast for the foam windscreen to handle then right. How do I move it fast enough, from actor to actor, before the next actor begins his/her dialogue? I have to move fairly quick unless my methods of movement are just wrong.

Probably both - your technique needs work and you need a ball gag. Try a foam ball gag, not just the foam sleeve.

490_foamWindscreens.jpg

Okay thanks. I still need something for outdoors though.

You mean for indoors? Good grief. How many times is someone going to have to say "get a fur cover for the foam windscreen" before you pick up on that subtle hint?! Or, hey... Try this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/573092-REG/Rode_WS7_WS7_Deluxe_Windshield_for.html

The Rode Blimp will not work, since I cannot get in close enough with the mic, cause the blimp is too long. I have the Rode NTG-3 as well. I measure and the NTG-3 is 10.1 inches. The blimp is approximately 18.5. If you don't believe me, here's a video I made with the NTG3 mic next to the road blimp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovTGhRWemk0&feature=youtu.be

Bravo, Ryan. You demonstrated your complete ineptitude once again. Let's review your math:

The mic is 10" long. The blimp is 19". (Measurements rounded to keep it simple.)

So you have pointed out that you have nearly 10" from the front of the mic to the front of the blimp. Good job on completely discounting what happens inside the blimp when the mic is mounted.

Unless you are using a cable with a right-angle connector, add 4" for the connector and a little of the cable sticking off the back of the mic. So, without the blimp, you are now working with a 14" assembly. So that takes the difference down to approximately 5". Further, the mic does not sit against the back of the zeppelin as you have it situated in your wonderful video. Of that 5" difference, 2" are added to the rear and 3" to the front. The actual, practical difference is nowhere close to 10".

But then, why am I even arguing this with you? The blimp is overkill for interiors, and that's been mentioned over and over again. But you don't care about practical advice.

When I shift the mic from person to person I move to fast for the foam windscreen to handle then right. How do I move it fast enough, from actor to actor, before the next actor begins his/her dialogue? I have to move fairly quick unless my methods of movement are just wrong.

Are your actors 20' apart or something ridiculous like that? If they're far enough apart that you're having to move the mic that fast. It's time to add a second boom op.

Really, I'm done. I cannot for the life of me figure out if you're really this ignorant/dense, or if you're a brilliant troll who has nothing better to do than waste people's time. Either way, nobody wins. Good luck.

I already got that foam ball gag for that AT4053b and it doesn't help much when swinging the boom. Even if I rotate the boom from actor to actor, I still have to do it fast, and I can still here wind interference in the sound. According this page, the foam windscreens and I assume foam ball gags are similar as well, only protect mics from up to 9 MPH of wind, and I think I have to move the boom pole faster than 9MPH to get the next actor before he/she speaks.

How fast are your actors communicating? Two weeks ago I was on a shoot helping the sound guy mainly with logging the takes so i was watching him a lot. Most of the time it's a very slight movement to the side, most of the time there was a closeup anyway in which the mic could get significantly closer.

It honestly sounds like you're shooting in Hobbit houses. You say it's too big, but have you tried in a practical situation yet?

H44, you realise most of the clean dialogue comes from close-ups where you shouldn't be swinging from actor-to-actor anyway...?

Similarly, how far away are your actors? 200ft..?!

you guys are seriously not only wasting your time, but making yourselves unintelligent by commenting on him saying his blimp is too big, i mean really a human being would take the blimp off and use the mic with the foam it came with.. like most people with a quarter of a brain would do.

like it has already been said, stop feeding the troll (the google ranks booster)

*INFACT THIS SUMS UP EVERY ANSWER TO EVERY QUESTION YOU HAVE EVER ASKED*

*SPECIFICALLY SKIP TO 48 Seconds then enjoy*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPRkYWVinF0

Last edited:
H44, you realise most of the clean dialogue comes from close-ups where you shouldn't be swinging from actor-to-actor anyway...?

Similarly, how far away are your actors? 200ft..?!

Yes during the close ups I can get clean dialogue, no problem. It's just for the mastershots that I seem to be having wind problems. Even if you turn the mic from one person to another, doing it quickly seems to cause wind interference, with the foam windscreen on that came with it.

In the feature I boomed for, pretty much all the mastershots have wind inteference, cause I have to rotate the mic from one person to another, and I guess I tend to do it fast cause I want to not miss my chance before the next person speaks. Most of that movie was shot with mastershots only (director's choice), so that was a lot of trouble. The actors were not far away at all, perhaps I was just doing it too fast or something, but they started their lines right away, so any slower and I would not have been fast enough.

For my own projects I would get a lot more close ups, but I still want to be able to get the mastershots right without getting wind in.

Last edited:
Back