• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

After Effects vs. Motion

I'll be getting FCP Studio in the coming months, which has Motion included in the package, but I have a hunch After Effects is still king.

Any thoughts from folks using either or both?

Thanks!

Just about every single editing gig in the L.A. area is for Final Cut Pro users. Period.

I was one of the final three applicants for a gig at Lynda.com, which is based right where I live, and they really liked my reel and vibe, but they gave the job to someone who had been cutting on Final Cut Pro for a few years. Lessons learned.

I've used Premiere Pro for a long while and I cannot convince clients or production companies to change their mind about the editing platform they prefer. FCP is what the industry wants so that's what I'll do.

I've used it before so I'm no stranger to it. Just will take a little getting used to.

While no one can really tell what film was cut on what app, when it comes to getting gigs, FCP is the only way.

I'm teaching myself Motion even as I write this (taking a break)

FCP was so user friendly and people could get started so quickly, maybe that has something to do with why everyone uses it.

I will say that I've never been able to get an AE person to tell me why it's is better, but just from the little that I know about the systems, After Effects is a lot more detailed than Motion. So if you wanted something really intricate, you would probably want to use AE. I think if you know CS, you are probably ahead of the curve, but if the workplace is looking for Final Cut, it's not a bad idea to become familiar with it.

I chose to learn it because of its connection to Final Cut Pro and the fact that they are native to each other. The interface has a familiar feel to FCP. I decided to learn it because I want to learn how to make better transitions for my documentaries and give them a more updated, polished look. And I am hoping to be able to find some work with it. Every editor's job I've seen posted over the last few years is asking for at least Motion. It's the only thing I don't seem to have.

-- spinner :cool:

It's so funny that everyone wants you to use FCP when in reality all the studios cut on Avid. FCP can't handle the resolution of real film.

Not to mention, why should they care what you edit on, as long as they like the finished product? Unless someone wants you to give them the project files, what's the difference? People who care more about what something was edited on than they care about the finished project have their priorities wrong.

Just like, as a DP, I know that right now, I won't get work unless I've got a DSLR. Which is nuts because I've got a fantastic HD camera (that doesn't have the same problems that DSLR has such as jello effect), which is capable of getting that 'glorious' shallow depth of field, too.

sorry. rant over. :)

Dready, believe me, I second your rant. When it's on the screen, who can tell, right? But as the saying goes, if you can't beat 'em, you might as well join 'em. That's where I'm at. I just can't afford to miss any more opportunities with editing gigs. I have the experience with a variety of projects, now I need to step up into "reality" (as monopolized as it is!) and get with the program, the Final Cup Program to be exact. ;)

I hear ya on the camera side, too. Unfortunately, we gotta have the latest greatest if we want to be in the game. Kinda stinks, but that's how she goes...

Spinner, I'll be asking for some advice down the road!

You guys, don't get me started on cameras! Everybody wants DSLR because it's the hot new thing. ALL companies who make video cameras know they will have to step up if they want to keep selling prosumer video cameras. Especially, when you can get the kind of pictures you can get from the 5D and 7D cameras. And then on the other side of that is, the camera makers don't tell you that you need a $1,500 lens on the front of those 'pitcher cameras' :lol: in order for the picture to look as incredible as it really can.

Anyway, Canon and Panasonic and JVC and Sony and all those folks are going to have to step up make a camera with videotaping abilities that are as good as the 5D/7D camera, and it will have to be as inexpensive as getting the photography cameras and that lens. Or else who's going to buy it? And it better be cost savvy. Because right now, if you spend around $3,000 (camera and expensive lens) you can get video good enough to rival any camera. And after what I saw a colleague get with his 5D, I don't even care about the RED camera anymore. Hmmm....$17,000 or $3,000? Are you kidding me?

...dready, that's a rant!

The camera thing really gets on my nerves! Darn it! What was I gonna say?? Oh, yeah....

But as the saying goes, if you can't beat 'em, you might as well join 'em. That's where I'm at. I just can't afford to miss any more opportunities with editing gigs. I have the experience with a variety of projects, now I need to step up into "reality" (as monopolized as it is!) and get with the program, the Final Cup Program to be exact. ;)

I also understand that if you know CS, opinions are polarized, some people love Motion, some hate it like poison. But what Motion supposedly does, is take out many steps by giving you a lot of customizable templates. So instead of 10 steps, you have 2 to make something work. But if you do know CS, you will probably pick it up quickly.

Unfortunately, we gotta have the latest greatest if we want to be in the game. Kinda stinks, but that's how she goes...

Spinner, I'll be asking for some advice down the road!

Yeah, like I said, I have seen many jobs posted for editors and they all ask for MOTION. So, I'm updating my skill set. Whattayagonnado? I don't think you will need my help much, but I'll help if I can. I'll probably be asking you questions!

I had a former broadcast teacher tell me once before we went into a BNP competition, "It's not what you have, but how you use it." I was a freshman, the youngest person on the team, and we walked out the next day with a Gold medal and a ticket to nationals. I've seen really great things done with all three systems. I've even seen a legitimate film made on iMovie make it into a film festival. I've used Google sketch-up, and a work flow to make a virtual News Set. Like Tanner said, it's how you use it.

It's commerce and ultimately comes down to what the market is asking for. Personally, I don't give two hoots who edits what on which system. Doesn't matter squat to me. But when 19 out of 20 editing gigs on Craigslist and Mandy require the use of FCP, I'd be foolish not to take the plunge.

It's commerce and ultimately comes down to what the market is asking for. Personally, I don't give two hoots who edits what on which system. Doesn't matter squat to me. But when 19 out of 20 editing gigs on Craigslist and Mandy require the use of FCP, I'd be foolish not to take the plunge.

I couldn't agree more, FP. I gravitated toward Adobe products because I was very familiar with PC's and had never even used an Apple. A creature of habit, I suppose, but I did unintentionally limit myself with future opportunities.

In the future, I hope to do what you've done and become proficient at both editing systems. Actually, now that I think of it, I would have professionally used 4 different NL editing programs at that point.

In any case, I'm very happy with CS5 and all that it can do and that will more than suffice for the time being. It's always good to learn new things throughout life.

I've run into the same thing. I use both FCS and CS5 both on the same Mac. I very much prefer CS5 but there's a client here and there that still wants FCS. Usually because that's what they use or have already hired someone that used and they want to keep it compatible. I use both weekly (sometimes daily) and CS5 out performs FCS in every way.

As far as AFX vs Motion... Motion is a very limited compositor. It can do a handful of things well, but a well trained After Effects user can do worlds more. After Effects may have a steeper learning curve, but there's also a way bigger community and third party support. When you get started using expressions, it can do a lot of the work for you. It's starting to be used in a lot of Major Motion picture work (like Star Trek and Super 8, not solely but in the titles, trailers and many scenes) where it used to only be Shake or Nuke. Motion does have a few templates... So does iDVD and iWeb... And high end clients don't like templates.

Last edited:
It's like if someone put a gun to my head and asked me what I prefer to edit on, I'd say Premiere. But when someone waves $50/hour in front of my face to edit with Final Cut, I'm like... Premiere what?

Back