Do you need a mic with the H4n?

Im most likely getting the H4n for Christmas. But just wondering if its nessacary to have a mic such as the node or other kinds before i can start shooting. I heard some examples online and they sound alright.. Whats your input?

YES you will need a mic for most stuff. You need to get a mic up close to the talent's mouth to get a clean recording.

You might be able to get something passable for learning and simple youtube stuff, but not for serious video work. You would need a shotgun mic. There are some you can get on the cheap ( $55 - 65 ), but the quality is only OK at best.

Buying a separate recording device just to use its onboard mic is doing it half-assed. Yes. Mic.

But just wondering if its nessacary to have a mic such as the node or other kinds before i can start shooting

There is no such thing as a node mic, unless of course you mean "Rode" which is a brand name.

There are three types of mics that 98.88% need to know about - Dynamic, Condenser and Ribbon. For filmmaking you will be using a condenser mic, unless you are recording explosions and jet engines, in which case you will use a dynamic. Ribbon mics are pretty much the domain of audio geeks like myself.

It's RODE.

There has been a lot of discussion amongst sound geeks about the low output level of the NTG-2; strangely enough, this is not a problem with the NTG-1 and the NTG-3. The H4n, since it is aimed at the music crowd and it's higher db levels, needs higher input levels. So the combo of the NTG-2 and the H4n yields unusually low sound levels.

Just for giggles, there is an recent firmware update for the H4n that allows for different input levels on the two mic inputs.

as a counterpoint.. on two shoots recently Iv seen the H4n on board mics used as a hand held mic .. a guy walking around pointing the h4n at the talent, and on the end of a boom pole WITH a dead cat.. Probably not optimal, but again, whose to say its not better then what they had for alternatives..

I think I may get flamed for this but here goes:

I think it depends on your experience. I would wait to purchase a new mic. Get a little redhead windscreen (http://www.redheadwindscreens.com/) for your h4n...and do some recording...and syncing. if you can have someone near by hold and point at the actors or strategically hide the thing in the shot...you'll get usable sound. I've used it on several shorts before I bought my sennheiser me66/k6 to do some some learning...that way you can save up for a better mic in while you're messing around.

To be honest. I was actually considering the red head windscreen and start at that. Ugh. The choices. Is there any test footage that you have taken that is uploaded somewhere that i may look?

Back