The Devil's Backbone/Guillermo Del Toro

I just watched "Julia's Eyes", and thought it was pretty amazing. The story was well fleshed out, not rushed, and the cinematography was really haunting. And, as always, I love Belen Rueda. Although I liked this a lot, "The Orphanage" is still my favorite.

What's your opinion on "Julia's Eyes", as well as Guillermo Del Toro?

Big fan of Guillermo Toro, although you do know he didn't direct Julia Eyes don't you??

I thought Julia eyes was OK, but, and i can't really remember why as it's a while since I saw it but I thought the ending was weak and predictable... the details why escape me now.

Love The Orphanage... but again not directed by GDT!!!

Enjoyed the Hellboy films, and loved Cronos and Pans Labyrinth. Heart sank when I saw the Pacific Rim trailer it looks pretty terrible.

Would love to see him make The Strain trilogy into films, appara there's a TV movie in the offing!!

Yeah, I'm aware he didn't direct either---he executive produced Julia's Eyes, and then did probably the same thing w/ The Orphanage. I agree---Pacific Rim just looks terrible.

Pan's Labyrinth is one of my favorites, hands down. I love Hellboy (more so 2). Mimic is also way better than it should be. And of course Devil's Backbone and Cronos (Backbone is where I became familiar with del Toro). You can also see his touches on The Hobbit (the Goblin King, in particular, looks straight from del Toro).

I'm kinda interested in Pacific Rim. I'm not into mecha or kaiju, but the trailers have looked extreme to the point of silly fun. And I've heard in true del Toro fashion they delve into the psychological effects of piloting the giant robots, which could make for an interesting film. Judgement reserved until I see it.

Really bummed that he wasn't able to get At The Mountains of Madness going. James Cameron was backing him. His dream project. The studio wanted him to ditch the downer ending and make it PG-13. Remember when horror films with less than an R were just laughed at? Odd culture in Hollywood these days.

Back