Need film director

b) for the budget im working with i'd have to be insane to shoot on something other than the vx2000. One of the best cameras for capturing in low light. Can make it look hd in post afterwords anyway.

I learned how to shoot on a Canon GH1. I then really sharpened my teeth on a Sony VX2100. It's a good camera, and I think you can get a lot of mileage out of it. Both are very comparable to the VX2000.

But it is not even slightly close to being one of the best cameras for capturing in low light. And you cannot make it look HD. It is going to look SD, and you better be good with lights. If you want something that performs well in low-light, get DSLR.

The VX2000 is far from the one of the best cameras for capturing
in low light. I have shot with that camera. It's fine but it gets really
"noisy" in low light. I own the PD170 and it's much better in low light.
But if that's the camera you want to shoot with, I'm okay with that.
It's YOUR call - I'm not going to tell you what camera or equipment
to use or how long your shoot should be. I'm only interested in know
about the shoot and what YOU are planning.

So total people involved are the director and one (maybe two) grips.
No one else at all? You, I assume? And three actors plus some extras
for one scene. Sorry for all the questions - but from what you have
said other people are telling you this is easy or impossible which leads
me to believe you just aren't giving out enough information to make
an informed decision. And it keeps changing with every question.

Prefer someone thats local but if u want to relocate for a week to work on the film thats fine too.
Sounds like an interesting challenge. Let me know what you decide, okay?

I learned how to shoot on a Canon GH1. I then really sharpened my teeth on a Sony VX2100. It's a good camera, and I think you can get a lot of mileage out of it. Both are very comparable to the VX2000.

But it is not even slightly close to being one of the best cameras for capturing in low light. And you cannot make it look HD. It is going to look SD, and you better be good with lights. If you want something that performs well in low-light, get DSLR.

I dont need the picture to look full blown HD so no problem there. Just as long as its clean and clear. Then converting the sd to hd so it plays clean and clear, like u see with old films and videos that went thru this process and are uploaded to youtube, flowplayer etc.

HD is great but takes too much light and too much time to do it. I dont have the budget for that. Im going to keep things simple, that get the job done. Im using the Sony vx2000 for this shoot.

Thanks for the tips though.

Send Directorik the script and your shot list so he can assess the reality of the shoot. I'd be interested in hearing about the logistics of this shoot as it goes forward.

Based on what I've heard, I'm not going to make an offer to help on this project. It'd most likely be less than my normal day rate (you haven't stated numbers yet), and wouldn't give me the time to finess the images into something I'd trade wages for Reel footage for (no offense intended here, I just prefer to shoot at about 2-4 pages / day if I'm not getting paid my normal wages, as either a Director or a DP, never both -- I've done that it was disastrous as my attention was split and neither job got the attention it deserved).

You'd light the same for both HD and SD... without lighting (which is what it sounds like you're going for), a DSLR will capture a much better image than SD jammed up into an HD frame (pixels doubled in height and width, accentuating the flaws). Again, feel free to run the shoot how you like... but experience (over a dozen projects) and interest has led me to be primarily a DP/CLT. Image quality is my bread and butter, and a rented/borrowed DLSR will get you much better footage than an old SD camera. It also imports faster (greater than realtime) so you will be able to get to editing more quickly.

As a skater of yore, I'm interested to see this project succeed. I hope this works no matter how you end up choosing to shoot it.

The VX2000 is far from the one of the best cameras for capturing
in low light. I have shot with that camera. It's fine but it gets really
"noisy" in low light. I own the PD170 and it's much better in low light.
But if that's the camera you want to shoot with, I'm okay with that.
It's YOUR call - I'm not going to tell you what camera or equipment
to use or how long your shoot should be. I'm only interested in know
about the shoot and what YOU are planning.

So total people involved are the director and one (maybe two) grips.
No one else at all? You, I assume? And three actors plus some extras
for one scene. Sorry for all the questions - but from what you have
said other people are telling you this is easy or impossible which leads
me to believe you just aren't giving out enough information to make
an informed decision. And it keeps changing with every question.

Sounds like an interesting challenge. Let me know what you decide, okay?

Sony vx2000, no HD.

I would like to say the people responding are either seasoned or intermediate. Seasoned being more towards a bigger crew and intermediate leaning towards a one man band crew. But thats not the case.. Some seasoned are saying they can do dp, sound and direct, with just a gaffer and grip thrown in. But some intermediate will say they need a full crew, with their monitor and directors chair.

Director, 1 or 2 grip, 2 actors (maybe a 3rd and its less than a min of screen time), extras that sit on a bench for one scene, me.

Not sure where im giving u different answers. Dont know how much more basic and direct i can be about the shoot. If however your wondering more about details with the script and story then shoot me an email.

Send Directorik the script and your shot list so he can assess the reality of the shoot. I'd be interested in hearing about the logistics of this shoot as it goes forward.

Based on what I've heard, I'm not going to make an offer to help on this project. It'd most likely be less than my normal day rate (you haven't stated numbers yet), and wouldn't give me the time to finess the images into something I'd trade wages for Reel footage for (no offense intended here, I just prefer to shoot at about 2-4 pages / day if I'm not getting paid my normal wages, as either a Director or a DP, never both -- I've done that it was disastrous as my attention was split and neither job got the attention it deserved).

No offense taken because theres no pay for director.

You'd light the same for both HD and SD... without lighting (which is what it sounds like you're going for), a DSLR will capture a much better image than SD jammed up into an HD frame (pixels doubled in height and width, accentuating the flaws). Again, feel free to run the shoot how you like... but experience (over a dozen projects) and interest has led me to be primarily a DP/CLT. Image quality is my bread and butter, and a rented/borrowed DLSR will get you much better footage than an old SD camera. It also imports faster (greater than realtime) so you will be able to get to editing more quickly.

As a skater of yore, I'm interested to see this project succeed. I hope this works no matter how you end up choosing to shoot it.

Would be great to shoot on HD with a big crew for sure, if i had a bigger budget. But that is the key i dont have, A BIGGER BUDGET. I also dont want to wait another 2 years trying to get a bigger budget, when i can start start shooting now with what i have and get the desired effects im looking for with my current gear.

Dont know how much more basic and direct i can be about the shoot.
Things like mentioning the crew, the total numbers of locations and
actors and the shoot dates is a little more direct. You finally did, but
it took some time to get it out of you. Your first post left a lot of
info out. But we're getting there.

Anyway, I'm still interested. Good luck with your shoot!

Things like mentioning the crew, the total numbers of locations and
actors and the shoot dates is a little more direct. You finally did, but
it took some time to get it out of you. Your first post left a lot of
info out. But we're getting there.

Anyway, I'm still interested. Good luck with your shoot!

And thats why i left an email address.. :rolleyes: So the potential director could get all the itty bitty details.

Anyhow u live to far. Thanks anyways.

Last edited:
Back