Best T3i settings

Hey ya'all.

I'm loving my T3i. I'm now called a "hybrid" on set because I'm walking around with mics and sound gear as well as a T3i around my neck snapping photos and taking BTS film. The last project I just finished up yielded some awesome BTS footage which was asked for by the team doing the featurettes !!!

I was wondering: Is there an online resource that states the best settings for a Canon T3i? One of the cameramen on the last shoot I was at was talking about settings figured out by so-and-so to be the best for the T3i, etc. etc.

I forgot the guy's name who is sponsored by Canon and has a blog about it - Phil, what's his name? Your neighbor... Hah! I've asked you that before. Can't seem to find it again.

Anyways, any help would be most appreciative.

Thanks a bunch -

Phillip Bloom.

With most DSLR's running 24p, you want to set the shutter at 50 (as close to double the framerate as possible). Most of my lenses I try to run just a bit below wide open. If it's a 1.4, I'll keep it around 1.8-2.2, if it's 2.8 around 3. Most lenses are soft wide open. Then for ISO, try to keep it below 800, in 160 increments. IE: 160, 320, 480, 640, 800. If you have too, push to 1250 or 1600 but expect some noise. Almost anything past 1600 is garbage.

If it's too bright running close to open at 160 ISO and 50 Shutter Speed, ideally use a ND filter to darken it. If you don't have one or it's not enough, close the Aperture but you're going to lose your pretty DOF.

Oh, frgot about picture setting, thanks!

If you are going to be color grading in post (everyone should be), try the Technicolor profile that's available as a free download. It's a super flat image that gives you the most color data to tweak possible.

If you aren't gradin in post or you aren't sure if you'll be able to, the above neutral profile is great. It looks good as is, but is still flat enough to push colors.

I'm pretty sure the Technicolor Cinestyle preset installs on all the Canon EOS cams.

I found this little cheat sheet yesterday. It's made for photographers, but I imagine that the info holds true for video as well.

ManualPhotographyZazzle.jpg

Back