• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Using Name Talent to Generate Foreign Presales

Ok, a big question here.

When approaching name talent, besides a kick-butt script, what will potential talent want to see in order to agree to being "attached" to a project?

I know that many projects are funded through foreign presales and alot of the time, those presales can be generated if the foreign market knows that a bankable actor or actors have been attached.

I'd like to see what everyone has to say about that....

thanks,
dawntreader3

I've just been through this process and have just sucessfully attached a name to my next project.

My experience so far is that it depends on who the name is. If you're trying to get somebody who is currently hot (getting loads of mainstream film work) then you are going to need to have not only the script, but your budget pretty much in place and an established reputation of completing and selling feature films.

We have got interest from an actor who is well known within the genre that we're working, but who hasn't done much film work recently. All we needed was a great script, an outline of what we wanted to achieve from a business point of view with the project and a showreel cut from our first feature.

In terms of pre-sales, the deal is just about the same, good commercial script, good business plan, name actor/s, realistic budget and an established history of sucessful film-making. The great thing about any pre-sale is that is almost as good as production money in the bank.

dawntreader3 said:
When approaching name talent, besides a kick-butt script, what will potential talent want to see in order to agree to being "attached" to a project?

It doesn't hurt to have $$$. The stars will ahve wwwaaaaaayyyyy too much experience talking with indie filmmakers who never come through. Having some money set aside to get them tro sign on the dotted line or a letter of intent always helps.

sonnyboo said:
It doesn't hurt to have $$$. The stars will ahve wwwaaaaaayyyyy too much experience talking with indie filmmakers who never come through. Having some money set aside to get them tro sign on the dotted line or a letter of intent always helps.

How do you guys find these foreign producers? or investors?

Back