Just made my first site, suggestions?

I just created my first site featuring me as a filmmaker at kinosightfilms.weebly.com Hoping to get some pointers on what could make things more clear or more interesting. Also it doesn't show up in my google searches even when I search my full name or kinosight films, any way to start getting some results? Thanks a bunch,

Katie

Hey, congrats on the site.

I would decrees the size of the clapboard graphic, as well as left justify the text on the homepage to the right of the image--in other words don't wrap the text around the picture, and left justify it.

Cheers.

I like the simplicity of it. Also agree on Michael comments.

You might want to add a news section on the first page. This helps people visiting to know what is the latest.

It's hard to promote on google without paying. Mainly websites hosted on services like that.

If you can spare about 35$ a year you can have your own site with a .com name. Usually it's about 10$ for the site name + 25 for hosting... maybe more (check godaddy.com, I used it for my websites).

Still, you will get more views through youtube than through google. Unless that you put exotic girls on the cover or something like that.

Thanks a bunch for the comments. Fixed the first page, working on a possible way of shrinking the banner, but did change it to a photo that is a bit less intimidating. Very helpful, thanks again.

I just re-published it. Works fine for me, maybe it was a weebly glitch. Either way should be up and running for you guys again. Let me know if you still have issues. PS: also started a blog style news feed, positive addition or no?

I'd say the blog style news feed is a good call.

The whole site looks really sharp, very nicely done. You clearly have a good grasp of how to lay a strong foundation for a site like this. I can only see you getting better from here.

Very nice! It will take a while for it to show up on search engines unless you pay like backlash stated. People will have to type it into their address bar at the top.

(sorry about the double post, first one didn't show for some reason.)

Last edited:
Okay I had a look at your website,

Best (free) way to get search engines to pick up your site quickly is to post links to your site from there services (like flickr is own by yahoo, etc) as this will draw the spiders.
Second way is you can submit your website to yahoo & google etc.

1st Page - I'm sure you can find a more flattering/professional photo then the one posted (sorry my photography senses tingle), check out the photography department for someone to give you a nice head shot or perhaps something more artistic.

Films Page - Minor Note - it starts with the text "Faces" above the list of movies.

Resume Page - Clearly you've haven't watch enough horror/thriller movies --> Remove your Address (you can say city & state, but drop street number and name) and phone number - that is a lot of detailed information that shouldn't be publicly listed unless its your office and not your home. Put the email and list "addition contact information on request".

Back