• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Writer’s block

Hi, my name is Isaac and have question for y’all. How do you get past writers block. Lately I’ve noticed that I’m getting obsessed over other parts of a idea for a film I have. Like, the characters, where this film would take place, how long will it take to shoot. I’m getting caught up with all of that and it can get frustrating on a writing level. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to IndieTalk! I moved your post to the Screenwriting section :)

There's no simple solution to obsession but I try to force myself to keep going forward until I have a completed first draft. I don't re-write ANYTHING - no matter how bad I know it it - until that first draft is done.

Try to remind yourself that none of those issues matter unless and until you have a completed screenplay.

:welcome:

Organization is key to an organized mind. What happens is when you think of these other elements of the film, you try to store them for recall and it starts to build up. What I'd do is create a file for production, just a simple Word doc for jotting notes. So you were wondering how long it would take to shoot that scene. Make that note in the doc, and get back to writing. Your mind will be more at ease just knowing you have it noted for deliberation at a later time. Keep the file open on your computer but focus on writing.

I bounce between many projects, these notes are life savers. I just use a text editor.

I'm a big fan of the book "Art and Fear" by David Bayles and Ted Orland. It's a great short read about getting the work done with as little self-judgment as possible. I think it answers a lot of the questions you've asked about pushing through blocks or concerns.

Back