• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Logline Madness 2015 – Submission Sunday!

It’s that time of year – March Madness! In honor of everyone’s favorite annual basketball tournament, Scripts & Scribes is having our own version – S&S Logline Madness!

We’re going to be taking logline submissions, both feature and TV in numerous genres (listed below), and have them judged by a half dozen top industry professionals, until one is declared the champion of our logline contest. There is no fee to enter.

Judges include:
Scott Carr – Management SGC
Rob Edwards – screenwriter
Markus Goerg – Heroes & Villains Entertainment
Ava Jamshidi – Industry Entertainment
Adam Kolbrenner – Madhouse Entertainment
Christopher Lockhart – WME
Marc Manus – Manus Entertainment

(NOTE: This contest is for entertainment and educational purposes only and not a serious competition.)

Visit the site for more details:
http://www.scriptsandscribes.com/2015/03/ss-logline-madness-2015-submission-sunday/

It's all subjective. One reader, albeit a fairly experienced one, seemed to believe your protagonist is rich and therefore not relatable. I didn't feel that way myself personally. What I was a little confused about was when you described him as an "exceptionally smart" rock musician. Unless the fact that he's a genius affects the story, you may want to leave it out as, in my opinion, it muddies the water. If it does have a direct impact on the story, you may want to reveal how and why. Otherwise you can use other descriptions like "down on his luck" rock musician or "talented but self destructive" or whatever. Something that might give us more insight into him other than he's really smart. Good luck with it regardless!

Thanks. Yes, I certainly can tell that you all know what you're dong, as your logic makes so much sense in your feedback. Lack of clarity is always the writer's fault.

Taking your advice:

LOGLINE
An exceptionally clever ex-criminal's life takes a disastrous turn when his old crime-buddies try to force him to dig up a loot that they all saw slip through their fingers during the coup.

Thanks. Yes, I certainly can tell that you all know what you're dong, as your logic makes so much sense in your feedback. Lack of clarity is always the writer's fault.

Taking your advice:

LOGLINE
An exceptionally clever ex-criminal's life takes a disastrous turn when his old crime-buddies try to force him to dig up a loot that they all saw slip through their fingers during the coup.

I do think this one is better, but a few suggestions in your choice of words. Using "ex-criminal" and "old crime-buddies" is using "crime" twice in the logline. Perhaps you can change one to "ex-felon","ex-convict", "old partners", "former accomplices", etc.

Or perhaps something like, "A down-on-his-luck rock musician's life takes a tragic turn when his former criminal partners track him down and to save the woman he loves, they force him to recover the loot that vanished during their final job."

I have no idea the elements that make up your story other than what I've read in the couple loglines you posted, but if you can lay out the stakes "to save the life..." or something, it definitely helps increase interest and "recover" the loot sounds more complex and interesting than "dig up" which sounds like it's just buried somewhere and he can just, dig it up. With "recover" it could be anything, like breaking into a police station evidence room, a drug lords safe or whatever the reader can imagine to get it.

"Down-on-his-luck" and "rock musician" describes your protagonist and gives a clear visual image of him. "Exceptionally clever" or "smart" give us intrinsic characteristics of him, but we don't get as good a feel for him or his situation.

Also "tragic" turn gives a more ominous tone, like people being killed, than "disastrous" which gives the implication of a train wreck of life destroying complications. If it's a thriller, I think "tragic" works better. If it's action, maybe "disastrous" or even better "catastrophic" might fit more.

I also think "vanished" is more mysterious than "slip through their fingers". I switched "coup" to "final job" because coup has the implication of an uprising or revolt, more than a criminal action and "final job" gives the reader the understanding that the protagonist had gotten out of the life of crime and adds the sense of... finality.

It's totally up to you of course. These are just my suggestions, knowing what little I know about your story.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Haha. Fun to see how you imagine the storyline. Your wild guess would be a solid, typical Hollywood-story. What I did was, I thought "the movies are always about some gangster doing this one more final job and then he retires, so what I would want to see is he who already did that last gig".

But to see how you think, as you create a logline is very intriguing. Thanks.

Back