"the producer experiment" blog

a funny, frank blog about a fairly inexperienced filmmaker blagging it as a producer. the writer began making their first feature film 18 months ago with low-ish expectations, until it ballooned. now they're in with the big boys of the british film industry:

http://theproducerexperiment.wordpress.com/

it's newly formed, but has some engaging and insightful articles already. more 'how to' information for first timers is promised as the producer experiences it themselves, so worth subscribing to.

an unusual and interesting film blog.

I'm in the money grabbing stage for my production at the moment, so I look forward to reading this. At first glance, you write well, it reminds me of the KLF's 'The Manual: How to have a number one the easy way"

EDIT: Just read the first post... very practical and engaging. Thanks!

no matter how many times you refer to yourselves as “fresh” and “the voice of the youth” (feel free to use those. they’ll open doors).

with a science fiction film, the CGI is the a-list celeb, and people aren’t going to be impressed if it mostly consists of empty cereal boxes covered in tin foil.

Lol @ both of these...

if you seriously want to be a successful producer, and you don’t have a track record, you’ll be making it extremely hard for yourself by starting out with a niche arthouse film. they just don’t pull in the general public, and this isn’t because the general public have poor taste, it’s also because art installation videos and arthouse films are generally dull and pretentious. feel free to slander me for saying that, it’s true.

there’s a lot of ‘biz speak that goes on in the film industry. some of it’s necessary, some of it isn’t, but nevertheless if you don’t speak the lingo you ain’t gonna earn the trust.

Does anyone have a link to a glossary of film terms? That'd help a lot...

Last edited:
Back