When to release Actor Reels

Dear experienced and helpful filmmakers,

I have just finished production on an independent film. It went amazing! As we enter postproduction, I am wondering if anyone knows the etiquette on when to release reels to the actors.

I can understand that they want their work sooner rather than later. However, if they wait until the film is cut, they will get a higher quality reel by far. I know -- if I were them -- I would much prefer to receive the edited scene than the uncut footage.

Is there a standard rule for this?

Thank you so much in advance. :)

K. Pettman

I know -- if I were them -- I would much prefer to receive the edited scene than the uncut footage.

Your actors will love you forever, if you give them the uncut footage as well as an edited cut. :)

With the uncut footage, any actor worth their salt will re-cut the scene with a heavy emphasis on maxiumum face-time. It just makes for a better reel (assuming the un-used footage was decent, anyway) for the actor - where visibilty is important.

As far as standard rules? A copy of the finished product is definitely standard. After that, I dunno... though I do remember one of my old coaches making a big deal about JAG (the tv show) sending her extra material to recut her scenes with.

Welcome to indietalk, Katria.

I know -- if I were them -- I would much prefer to receive the edited scene than the uncut footage.
But you aren't them. My advice is to ask each actor what
they want. Don't assume they will feel the way you would
feel if you were them.

When actors are working for free or for less than their usual
day rate, I make every effort to get them footage in what
ever format they want as soon as possible. They have helped
me - I feel it's important to help them. If some (or all) of them
want the raw, unedited footage of a scene or two right away
and then when your final cut is done they decide your footage
is much better, they can change their reel to incorporate your
cut.

Normally I would say wait until the production is done...this is standard practice, and nothing is wrong with actors having to wait for their footage. The only time I would suggest you DO give the footage to the actor before completion is if the filmmaker/s can't seem to finish the film...if it takes the company a lot longer than it should to get things done, then you can release some of the actors' footage before the picture is done.

We all have to wait...that's totally normal. As long as things are running at a generally normal pace.

I've asked several directors to release footage to me before the production is done for these very reasons...when the film takes well over a year to complete, and there's no end in sight...I've asked for a scene or two for my reel. If the actor handles him or herself professionally, there shouldn't be a battle to get some footage...

Cheers.

Last edited:
Dear M1chae1,

Thank you so much for your time and valuable advice. This all helps a great deal. I know it is strange to say, but I am so glad postproduction is finally here! Sound, editing, score... YES! I appreciate so much your generous sharing which can only help this production forge ahead in the most fair and professional manner possible.

Yours Sincerely,
K. Pettman

Back