Beginning Filmmaking

Filmmaking has always been something that I've enjoyed doing, even without having the proper resources. After saving a few dollars, I bought the T2i around 2 weeks ago (I know, shame, the T3i came out a few days after :grumpy: ). I am now about 1/4 through my first script, and I have to say, I think it's pretty good! But before I can start filming, I need to have a few essentials, which I am not too fond of. I already have proper editing programs such as Sony Vegas Pro 10 and After Effects.

First: Audio

I know I'll need an external microphone because the T2i's internal pretty much sucks compared to some other audio quality. So, boom/shotgun mics, boom poles, etc.? What do you recommend for my budget ($400) and the T2i? Should I hook the mic directly into the 35mm jack, or buy a separate audio recorder? I'm trying to get the absolute best audio quality for an indie film with $400. ;)

Second: Camera Setup

I see some setups with the T2i that have like shoulder stabilizers, external monitors, and super long lenses (which are pretty impressive), but should I need anything like that? I know I may need a stabilizer (recommendations?) but are the monitor and lenses essential?

Thank you so much for all of your help guys.

Kevin

You should go for a separate audio recorder as plugging a shotgun mic into T2i using 35mm jack doesn't make any big difference. If I go for a decent audio recorder and a shotgun mic, that'll cost me £400..i don't know about USA..they say you guys get some stuffs in cheaper price than that of in UK..

Tripod..you MUST get a decent tripod..and that will cost you about £250..again in pound..btw, I'm talking about manfrotto tripod & fluid head.. you actually don't need external monitors or super-duper tele lense (or even prime one).. you can shoot nicely with the kit lens..

filmmaking is about what you showing and how..not what u using.. what you should do is to record your imagination/thoughts through camera lens..

You should go for a separate audio recorder as plugging a shotgun mic into T2i using 35mm jack doesn't make any big difference. If I go for a decent audio recorder and a shotgun mic, that'll cost me £400..i don't know about USA..they say you guys get some stuffs in cheaper price than that of in UK..

Tripod..you MUST get a decent tripod..and that will cost you about £250..again in pound..btw, I'm talking about manfrotto tripod & fluid head.. you actually don't need external monitors or super-duper tele lense (or even prime one).. you can shoot nicely with the kit lens..

filmmaking is about what you showing and how..not what u using.. what you should do is to record your imagination/thoughts through camera lens..

:) Thanks so much for the advice! I already have a really nice tripod that I got before, so I can check off one thing on my list! Any recommendations?

You are not going to get "the absolute best audio quality for an indie film with $400". You might get close if you add a zero.

Decent mics cost about $300 and you should have at least two, one shotgun and one hypercardioid. You will also need a digital recorder and, optimally, a mixer. You'll need all of the appropriate accessories - boom-pole, shock-mount, cables, cases, headphones, etc.

You can use inexpensive consumer products like the Rode VideoMic, but then you will have to expend even more time, effort and care to get solid sound.

You are not going to get "the absolute best audio quality for an indie film with $400". You might get close if you add a zero.

Decent mics cost about $300 and you should have at least two, one shotgun and one hypercardioid. You will also need a digital recorder and, optimally, a mixer. You'll need all of the appropriate accessories - boom-pole, shock-mount, cables, cases, headphones, etc.

You can use inexpensive consumer products like the Rode VideoMic, but then you will have to expend even more time, effort and care to get solid sound.

Thanks for the response! If you were/are an indie filmmaker and had $400 to spend on audio quality what would you buy?

You can use inexpensive consumer products like the Rode VideoMic...

Get the VideoMic and a boom-pole (you can DIY the boom-pole). You can plug directly into the camera, but you will have no way to monitor the audio. You could plug the mic something like the Tascam DR-08 or the Zoom H2.

Rode VM - $150
Tascam DR-08 - $130
DIY Boom-Pole - $30
Sony MDR-7506 Headphones - $100

You'll need various cables, adapters, batteries, etc.; figure an additional $50 to $100. That's a total of around $450 - $500. This is strictly consumer fare and in no way should be considered remotely close to even prosumer. Because of the nature of the cables you may be susceptible to RF interference. When shooting outdoors you will be very susceptible to wind and ambient noise.

Even more than the gear is the skill with which the available equipment is used. Sound preproduction, set prep, proper aiming of the boomed mic, copious room-tones, dialog wilds, Foley wilds and sound FX wilds are requirements to having a chance in audio post.

Get the VideoMic and a boom-pole (you can DIY the boom-pole). You can plug directly into the camera, but you will have no way to monitor the audio. You could plug the mic something like the Tascam DR-08 or the Zoom H2.

Rode VM - $150
Tascam DR-08 - $130
DIY Boom-Pole - $30
Sony MDR-7506 Headphones - $100

You'll need various cables, adapters, batteries, etc.; figure an additional $50 to $100. That's a total of around $450 - $500. This is strictly consumer fare and in no way should be considered remotely close to even prosumer. Because of the nature of the cables you may be susceptible to RF interference. When shooting outdoors you will be very susceptible to wind and ambient noise.

Even more than the gear is the skill with which the available equipment is used. Sound preproduction, set prep, proper aiming of the boomed mic, copious room-tones, dialog wilds, Foley wilds and sound FX wilds are requirements to having a chance in audio post.

Thanks for that list man!

What do you think about this?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/481528-REG/Rode_NTG_2_Condenser_Shotgun_Microphone.html

:)

Back