selling 6D for A7Rii funds

Hey guys,

I own a relatively successful, albeit small video production company. I generally do videos starting at $1,500, up to $2,500 (our most lucrative project). These projects are getting more and more frequent (at least one a month) as I gain notoriety and a reputation for cinematic quality music videos, event videos and short films.

My issue: I feel that we've outgrown the Canon 6D and 550D that we've been using since the inception of the company about a year ago. The images I am getting out of these cameras just fall apart under the more complex color correction and grading that we are capable of doing now. Additionally, the aliasing/moire is unbearable at distances more than 20 feet, which is a hugely limiting factor for what shots we can safely get without fearing that those pristine mountains and trees have become digital-looking pixel blocks. Finally, I'd love to have internal image stabilization so I can comfortably use rokinon cine lenses without fearing that the microjitters my hands naturally create are ruining the shots.

So, I'm thinking about buying an A7Rii when it comes out...I'll be selling the 6D (keeping the 550D for sentimental purposes as it was my first camera ever) to help with some of the cost, and have plans to shoot two music videos at $1,500 apiece in the next month. There shouldn't be a lapse in finances anywhere, I'm just wondering if it's a better idea to wait for the A7Rii, or go with a readily available A7s, GH4, NX1 or ???

Don't allow yourself to be spoiled by IBIS it degrades your image, red, arri don't have it:) if your making money but don't wanna spend loads get a 2nd hand gh4 with V log coming soon it will be a beast even mor than it is now!

I'd personally go with an A7s. If you really want 4k you can get it, it's going to be cheaper than the A7rii, available right now and will at least give very similar images to the A7rII.

I wouldn't suggest purchasing something via pre-order or without testing it out yourself first. No-one really knows how the A7rII is going to perform yet, and whilst I'm sure it will be great, there will always be niggling dislikes in any camera.

At least the A7s you can go and try, even hire to see for yourself.

Don't allow yourself to be spoiled by IBIS it degrades your image, red, arri don't have it:) if your making money but don't wanna spend loads get a 2nd hand gh4 with V log coming soon it will be a beast even mor than it is now!

Do you have examples of the image degradation with IBIS? I feel like the degradation would be negligible in a 4k image downsampled to 1080p.

Also, I really like the fact that the A7rii (and A7s) both have stunning low light capability, as I do a lot of event shooting and run-and-gun guerrilla stuff that requires high quality in bad light. I've read nothing but scathing reviews about GH4's low light capability being useless past 1600...that just won't work for me.

Back