Seeking a dedicated writing partner.

I'm going to try my best to not make this sound like a dating ad, but it may be inevitable.

I'm looking for someone to write a feature length with. A partner in crime so to speak. I need a like-minded person to bounce ideas off of--someone who can motivate me the way I motivate them (I don't want to date you, I swear!). Preferably someone who has the same level of experience as me or higher. I've written three indie shorts, one of which is "Hollywood-grade," for whatever that's worth. I majored in Animation with a minor in Creative Writing, I've attended screenwriting courses and seminars at the very prestigious Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) and I've recently started my own (half-ass) script polishing business. But all of that doesn't matter much, I'm still getting my feet wet.

We can start a story from scratch or work with an already existing idea, I'm open for whatever. We would most likely have Skype meetings once a week or so to stay on track and develop new plots, characters, etc. What I hope to gain from this is a well-written movie that we can shop around and a new writing partner/friend.

If you think you might be interested in working (playing) with me, shoot me an email at o.andrade.gm@gmail.com or message me here. Thanks. :D

I emailed you two days ago, you didn't respond. What's the problem?

I emailed you two days ago, you didn't respond. What's the problem?

My post has only been up for two days and I didn't start receiving emails until just yesterday. I responded to all of them and even checked my spam inbox--nothing but Yelp and penis enhancer advertisements. Are you sure you sent the email to the right address?

And butter, I've gotten a lot of responses, but I'm still on the prowl just in case someone decides to be a flake.

Owen, almost a year ago you asked for collaborators for a
post-apocalyptic web series? What happened with that?

Owen, almost a year ago you asked for collaborators for a
post-apocalyptic web series? What happened with that?

It got put on the back burner because I bit off more than I could chew at the time (plus very few people returned my emails when it was time to work). Also, trying to organize a film crew online was pretty impossible seeing as everyone who offered to help were on complete opposite sides of the country. So if I were to resurrect the project, I would stick with a single producer/director with his own crew and equipment, using Kickstarter or Indiegogo to raise the necessary funds.

Are you still interested in working on it? I still never got to see samples of your work.

Are you still interested in working on it?
I'm not so much interested in working on a project that is
on the back burner. As I recall, I mentioned that when your
series gets going I would be interested in writing.

When it gets going, I'm still interested.

I still never got to see samples of your work.
True. I didn't feel the need to send you any samples if you didn't
have a project that was actually going to happen. I'm happy to
offer samples when it's off the back burner and you are actively
making episodes.

Many times someone looking for collaborators on messageboards finds
it's very, very difficult to follow through and nothing comes of it. So
I'm a little cautious about sending writing samples until I believe
something is actually going to happen.

When you said you were going to show me your work, I thought you meant films that were already made. I wasn't entirely sure what your forte was. I thought you might've been a "producer/director with his own crew and equipment" who also writes occasionally. That's why I asked if you were still interested. I already have the story written, it's a matter of bringing it to life.

True. I didn't feel the need to send you any samples if you didn't
have a project that was actually going to happen. I'm happy to
offer samples when it's off the back burner and you are actively
making episodes.

I wish I would've known that a little sooner and not left thinking you weren't interested anymore. I kind of look-up to you and appreciate your opinions on these forums, so your silence was a little discouraging.

Many times someone looking for collaborators on messageboards finds
it's very, very difficult to follow through and nothing comes of it. So
I'm a little cautious about sending writing samples until I believe
something is actually going to happen.

I know that feeling. But if I didn't take risks, I wouldn't have gotten my first short produced by a well-established production company, and it wouldn't be making its first premiere at the Los Angeles Asian Pacific American Film Festival of 2012 at the DGA. For others that may be a small accomplishment, but keep in mind it was the first script I ever showed anyone outside of immediate friends and family.

I'm not trying to say that if you contacted me the project would've been a success, it probably still would've gone dormant due to lack of funds. But I still would've liked to communicated a little bit more.

I wish I would've known that a little sooner and not left thinking you weren't interested anymore. I kind of look-up to you and appreciate your opinions on these forums, so your silence was a little discouraging.
I’m sorry there was miscommunication.

My last message to you about the web series (back in May) was to
tell you that when you had a script I would like to read it. If I felt it
was something I could do I would send you some samples of my
work as director. I never heard back about that script. Your silence
was a little discouraging to me, too. I really wanted to read your script.

Perhaps I should have kept trying to contact you but when Hunter
(hunteq) posted in June saying you were writing the first script I got
the impression you would finish the script and then return to the
thread. I see now you were waiting for me. I apologize. I saw myself
as an interested party, not as the one person you and Hunter were
waiting on.

I know that feeling. But if I didn't take risks, I wouldn't have gotten my first short produced by a well-established production company, and it wouldn't be making its first premiere at the Los Angeles Asian Pacific American Film Festival of 2012 at the DGA. For others that may be a small accomplishment, but keep in mind it was the first script I ever showed anyone outside of immediate friends and family.
That’s a great accomplishment - do not think of it as small. You
now have an agent, you make your living as a screenwriter and
you have your own script services company. You have done very,
very well in that last nine months.

I was willing to take a risk with your web series. I was just waiting
see a script. As a director I didn't want to fully commit if the project
was something I couldn't handle. Again, I apologize.

OH! And I guess I should say I found a partner.
Very good! Was is someone from indietalk? Who?

Sometimes, I don't think writers understand the need for a script, or treatment when it comes to directing or producing. Pretty much impossible to consider the feasibility of a project - or the required funding - if you don't have some form of living version of what it is you are trying to do.

When I am reading a script I am running numbers.

I received an offer to turn a well known progressive musicians trilogy album into a film. He had no treatment. He said "read the lyrics." They were pretty vague. I tel him how to register his work with the WGA and have him send me a treatment.

First line of the script:

The film starts out with a shot of the planet earth. The camera pans in to a small boy standing in the desert in the middle east...

Perhaps I should have kept trying to contact you but when Hunter
(hunteq) posted in June saying you were writing the first script I got
the impression you would finish the script and then return to the
thread. I see now you were waiting for me. I apologize. I saw myself
as an interested party, not as the one person you and Hunter were
waiting on.

There's no need to apologize for that. I didn't mean to put all the pressure on you. It was definitely a mixture of things that made me drag my feet. Hunter tried his best to keep things in order, but in the end it was really my fault for not keeping everyone updated.

That’s a great accomplishment - do not think of it as small. You
now have an agent, you make your living as a screenwriter and
you have your own script services company. You have done very,
very well in that last nine months.

Thank you. I don't have a lot of people in my life who acknowledge my accomplishments, so that means a lot to me.

I was willing to take a risk with your web series. I was just waiting
see a script. As a director I didn't want to fully commit if the project
was something I couldn't handle. Again, I apologize.

I completely understand that now.

I'm currently working on a new project with a fast approaching deadline, but when I'm ready to tackle the post-apocalypse project again, you'll be the first one I inform.

Very good! Was is someone from indietalk? Who?

Fernando, actually. Ha!

First line of the script:

The film starts out with a shot of the planet earth. The camera pans in to a small boy standing in the desert in the middle east...

LMAO! That's ****ing hilarious!

Back