• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Avoiding Being Tone-deaf

Short story time. Last weekend I spent some time in karaoke. After my friends banned me from singing, I realized I was tone-deaf.

Later that night I stumbled home and wrote a terrifying scene where the recently revealed antagonist hunts the protagonist. I awoke the next morning eager to read my work. I wish I didn't because the scene was awful. The tone was completely off. My dialogue, for instance, did not match the feel of the scene. One line was: "Here's Pedro!" You read that right. I just included a goofy parody of the Shining in my tense, nail-biting scene. I was being tone-deaf once again.

Tone is like the present you get your in-laws – it is almost impossible to get right, but brilliant when you do. I struggle with the tone every time I write.

How do you ensure you get the right tone when writing? Any tricks you can share?

I do exactly what you did: I write. I go back and read. I rewrite what doesn't work for me.

I don't believe there are any tricks when it comes to writing.

You are not tone deaf, you are whittling away. First you take the big chunks out of the wood, and then you start to sculpt. This is a normal process, as well as the "day after test" which is what you proved works for you. Keep whittling.

Since you used a music analogy, I will tell you, it's natural in music too. My band does a "day after test" to make sure the song we wrote is really "a hit" lol. You have to reset.

Since you used a music analogy, I will tell you, it's natural in music too. My band does a "day after test" to make sure the song we wrote is really "a hit" lol. You have to reset.

+1

When I produce a new song, I pretty much always LOVE it, right off the bat. After all, I wouldn't have recorded it if I didn't think it sounded good.

And then I step away from it. For weeks, I won't revisit the song, not even one bit. After some time away, I give it a listen. Sometimes I still like it but want to make some tweaks. Sometimes I think it's absolute garbage and can't believe I ever liked it.

As IT mentioned, same thing with screenwriting. That's just a natural healthy part of the process, in my opinion.

Best of luck moving forward! :D

There's a reason we do multiple drafts. Re-read in the cold light of day and see how you feel about it. Edit til you think you've got it right. Re-read. Re-write.

Of course there's a point where you have to finish your screenplay....

Also, having others whose opinions you trust read the script or scenes and give honest feedback can help too.

The question essentially is 'is there a trick to make sure I'm writing good stuff every time I write' and I certainly don't think there's any trick for that ;)
Though there are some techniques to help orient you in the scene, or spark ideas.

'I write because I don't know what I think until I read what I say.'

Michelangelo supposedly said that the sculpture was already in the marble; all he did was chip away the unneeded bits. Following that premise, in most of my creative endeavors - personal and professional - I throw everything at the project, then I eliminate the unnecessary stuff.

Back