Using World Cup footage from 1982 in short film

Hi All,

I am working on an independent self financed short documentary film as a producer.
In one scene we did a reenactment of two people watching a Brazil vs Italy game of football during the 1982 Fifa World Cup on a small b&w little T.V. The length of the footage is 51 seconds and it's cut into 5 or 6 scenes.

Is anyone familiar with the legality aspect for using those footage? Should we ask permission from Fifa? I emailed them but they didn't reply. I have heard that if the shots are inside a T.V you don't need to pay Fifa to use them, you re only supposed to pay them when the shot is used as full screen. Else the commentator is John Motson from BBC, should we contact BBC for permission?

Another scene in the film, we have a 15 seconds extract taken from a T.V war report from Beirut in 1982 produced by ABC News (it consists of the audio of the reporter over footage of the bombed football arena after severe air strikes) ... same thing, can anyone help? Can we use those footage, should we pay ABC?

Any help appreciated
Cheers
A

Talk with your lawyer. Plain and simple. You may be able to get away with using it for free, depending on your laws, intended use etc. You'll likely need to pay a fee. How much will depend on the quality of your representation.

Back