Using the name of a TV show in your film

Hey,
I'm making a short film and I mention a TV show by name. Can i use it or do i need the permission of said show or whoever owns it?

Thanks

You're good. Unless you make false statements that are damaging to the show. Then, I guess you could be sued for libel. But if you just mention it, in casual conversation, there's absolutely no law against that.

We had a major discussion about this on our set. I spoke with a entertainment lawyer who said a casual mention of a TV show or movie shouldn't be a problem. For example in the Movie Clerks the actors mention Star Wars, the Death Star. Did they get permission for that? Who knows? When in doubt find a way to ask a REAL lawyer. Don't listen to the crew who have never been to law school. :)

A title cannot be copyrighted. Some - like Star Wars - can be trademarked. If you're not using material from the show you aren't guilty of copyright infringement.

As CF said, I would probably shy away from potentially slanderous statements...

Actor A: "What's the name of the TV show that has the pedophile hosting it?

Actor B: "Oh, that'll be the O'Reilly Factor.

:lol:

A title cannot be copyrighted. Some - like Star Wars - can be trademarked. If you're not using material from the show you aren't guilty of copyright infringement.

As CF said, I would probably shy away from potentially slanderous statements...

:lol:

The Star Wars LOGO can be trade marked, but you can say the name without getting written permission.

Back