Using the name/likeness of an actor in a film

A short film I'm producing refers to a certain actor in a very reverent fashion. I made him the author of a book. The characters in the film refer to this book, look up to the actor, and refer to the actor's name many times throughout.

In one shot we need to show the cover of the book and of course the title of it will have the actor's name in it and a stenciled outline of their image on the book cover.

For the poster for the film, I wanted to show the book being held by one of the actors.

What I'm wondering is if what I want to do with the book; mentioning the actor's name and inferring they wrote it is fine within the film. As for the poster, I have this feeling that having the actor's name showing anywhere on promotional material might be different than mentioning him in the story. All in all, just wondering the legality of everything. I really doubt I will profit from this film in any way, and while it will be a well done film, we really just made it to make it and exercise our film making and show people what we can do.

I really doubt I will profit from this film in any way, and while it will be a well done film, we really just made it to make it and exercise our film making and show people what we can do.
The profit is not relevant - when you use a photograph you
may be violating the copyright. If the poster for the movie
suggests the actor in any way endorses your film their may
be legal issues even if you make no profit.

The problem when asking fellow filmmakers for specific legal
advice is we are not lawyers - we are filmmakers. We can have
opinions just like you do, but no one here knows the laws. I
could be completely wrong.

My suggestion is if you want to make a movie to people what
you can do, you should show them by avoiding any legal and/or
copyright issues.

Don't use a real actor - directorik is right; there are too many issues regarding image rights, etc. to contend with, unless you can contact the actual actor and get a release.

Make the book written by an actor in your characters' reality. They look up to "Lance Anyman" as if he was "Alec Baldwin", or whoever your "real" actor choice is.

gelder

You can make social commentary about real actors. Do you think they got permission from Calista Flockhart in Scary Movie?

"This is skeleton, this is bones! Would you run from Calista Flockhart?"

I agree that you can't show a copyrighted book.

Back