Using music from a game

Hi,
In my next short film i wanted to use one of the tracks from command and conquer generals.
i already have the track, thats no problem - but is it protected by the same copyright as any other music single?? is it ok if i credit it or something. i would really like to use it, would it be infringement to use it?? even if i credited the game or the person who made the music??

Thanks in advance everyone :->

Callum :->

Well the same rules would apply to video game music as any copyrighted piece. As for specifics on the law, you'll have to look it up for your region. In the US, depending on how/what/why you use, sometimes you can get away under something called Fair Use. But I know so little about US copyright law, I know nothing of international copyright law(you're in GB, right?), so you'll need to find out that yourself.

I would try googling british/english copyright fair use

Or something to that effect.

bugger. out of interest how much would they charge me if i said i would pay to use it?? i know it can vary but any idea??

It depends on what you use, how much of it you use, what kind of production you are using it for, how famous/powerful the copyright holder is etc. The only way to find out would be to write a letter and getting a quote from them. Though typically it's not cheap.

lets start with thousands for anything popular...

time to break that piggy bank!

btw, u might want try jamendo.com

be careful as to what you use from there. they have different licences and rights for different groups, songs and music.

Back