Where do you get the balls to location scout?

Do you guys go up to random location owners and ask if you can film?
Of course I go up to random location owners and ask if I can film.
If I don't go up to random location owners and ask if I can film
then I can't get the locations I need for my movie.
How do you know they won't tell you to f*** off?
I don't know they won't tell me to fuck off. Based on my experience
most location owners say no. No one has ever told me to fuck off.
But if anyone did I would go away and ask the next one.

Where do I get the balls? I grow them. My movie comes first. I
need to grow a pair in order to get what I want.

To scared? To sensitive to handle rejection? Hire a location company.

Do you guys go up to random location owners and ask if you can film? How do you know they won't tell you to f*** off?

How do you know that they won't say yes? C'mon, where's your cajones?

Most folks would be very happy to be involved in a film - even a low-budget indie - as long as it doesn't inconvenience them (or if they can turn a little profit).

It all comes down to you; you need to be well prepared and have a friendly but very professional attitude/demeanor when approaching people.

I go to all sorts of weird places to collect sounds, both public and private, and have very few problems because I approach the situation just like any other part of audio post - it's a part of my business/craft.

Part of finding locations is knowing how to budget them too. Some places are too expensive for small filmmakers to shoot in. The definition of a little profit varies too, depending where you want to shoot and what the property owner wants to charge. If you or your DP are bringing a lot of lights, the owner will what to charge hundreds to thousands a day to cover their electric bill too.

Last edited:
I just ask.
Sometimes I can email them first.

For the community project I could shoot at a monument after opening hours.
By asking.

Sometimes you have friends/relatives or a business network that can help you.
A few examples from the past few years:
Thanks to one of my dad's clients I could shoot at and in a late medieval farm.
Thank to my business network I could shoot in the WTC of Rotterdam and in an Italian shop.
And I asked my girl's yoga school permission to use their location: 3,5 hours between2 classes we enough :)

The only way to get a yes or a no is by asking.

Of course I go up to random location owners and ask if I can film.
If I don't go up to random location owners and ask if I can film
then I can't get the locations I need for my movie.

I don't know they won't tell me to fuck off. Based on my experience
most location owners say no. No one has ever told me to fuck off.
But if anyone did I would go away and ask the next one.

Where do I get the balls? I grow them. My movie comes first. I
need to grow a pair in order to get what I want.

To scared? To sensitive to handle rejection? Hire a location company.

lol ok thank you sir.

How do you know that they won't say yes? C'mon, where's your cajones?

Most folks would be very happy to be involved in a film - even a low-budget indie - as long as it doesn't inconvenience them (or if they can turn a little profit).

It all comes down to you; you need to be well prepared and have a friendly but very professional attitude/demeanor when approaching people.

I go to all sorts of weird places to collect sounds, both public and private, and have very few problems because I approach the situation just like any other part of audio post - it's a part of my business/craft.

Do you guys go up to random location owners and ask if you can film? How do you know they won't tell you to f*** off?

The way you know is by asking. If you don't ask, the answer is already 'no'. If you do ask, and they say 'no', you're no worse off than you started. If they actually tell you to "f*** off" you're still no worse off. In fact, as long as they don't pull out the double barrel and pepper your backside with rock salt as you sprint for the gate, you're no worse off than if you hadn't asked - so ask!

The way you know is by asking. If you don't ask, the answer is already 'no'. If you do ask, and they say 'no', you're no worse off than you started. If they actually tell you to "f*** off" you're still no worse off. In fact, as long as they don't pull out the double barrel and pepper your backside with rock salt as you sprint for the gate, you're no worse off than if you hadn't asked - so ask!

lmao thats as clear as it gets, thanks boss,

Of course you need to go on a various location owners and ask if you can film in their property because how can you have the location that you needed in your film if you won’t ask the permission of the location owners.

The secret.. look up from your stupid phone screen long enough to make eye contact with other humans! Geeze.. kids these days act like there is some secret to normal interpersonal skills. Practice them, you will get better.

Back