Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Post Production

Old 06-11-2018, 08:57 AM   #16
Runlevel Two
Basic Member

I guess you're right when it comes to big movie productions where the stakes are high and a lot of money goes around. Sure, they will stay in the comfort zone of their proprietary editing suites. Why wouldn't they?

But this is not 1998 anymore, it's 2018, and many independent filmmakers on a tight budget have long found their way into the world of widely available free / open source tools that have matured over time, and become serious alternatives to commercial software.

Last edited by Runlevel Two; 06-11-2018 at 09:07 AM. Reason: typo
Runlevel Two is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 06-11-2018, 02:22 PM   #17
Let Malo Film
Basic Member

If resolve doesn't work you should try Hitfilm express.
Let Malo Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:15 PM   #18
Onalos
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runlevel Two View Post
I guess you're right when it comes to big movie productions where the stakes are high and a lot of money goes around. Sure, they will stay in the comfort zone of their proprietary editing suites. Why wouldn't they?

But this is not 1998 anymore, it's 2018, and many independent filmmakers on a tight budget have long found their way into the world of widely available free / open source tools that have matured over time, and become serious alternatives to commercial software.
I use Blender's VSE as well. I'm very interested to know what that plug-in is that you were referring to if you don't mind. Also, the VSE doesn't have real-time view on the render preview. Do you usually have a workaround for that or does it not bother you? I'm thinking of switching to Shotcut for editing because of that reason.

Shotcut is actually pretty good. Reminds me of a more advanced windows movie maker. Maybe the OP can look into that. It's free and open source.
Onalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:28 PM   #19
Onalos
Basic Member

Would like to add that Blender wasn't free. SOMEONE paid for it. I'm referring to the $180,000 cost to open source it (I think that was the price). Not to mention how it's been in the google summer of code for a while. It's free for us now. But because of what it went through it literally is right up there with commercial packages and has professional features that rivals other similar software.

When someone says don't bother with free software if you want professional results, or that you should invest I usually agree. But Blender is the exception.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:39 PM   #20
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Pretty sure people understand, free to the consumer, doesn't mean there was zero cost to develop. Android is um free. Word Press. All open source too.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:08 PM   #21
Onalos
Basic Member

Some people write software in their spare time as a hobby. There are a few open source softwares that had only one developer. Anim8or and Natron come to mind (Although Natron now has 3 full time employers I believe).

They are actually really good too. Just wanted to get it out there that there is some really good free software around. And that free doesn't equal lack of quality.

I do believe that some people think that because many say "If you are professional you should invest in commercial software."
Old 11-14-2018, 10:14 PM   #22
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

I'm in that same boat. Open source has come a long way! But those companies make money, they just make it in different ways. They are smart. Google and Word Press paved the way. The Chrome browser is based on the open sourced Chromium. Opera used to be a paid browser. Now, no one would think to pay for a browser! Word Press makes money on hosting the OS software, etc. It's like saying, this hot sauce is free, and we sell ice cream. But yes, "freeware" has always had a bad name. Bugs, spyware, no money for upkeep, projects dropped. Etc.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:50 AM   #23
pedramyz
Basic Member

Among the ones that u need to pay for, which software is the best one or most commonly used?
pedramyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #24
Runlevel Two
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onalos View Post
I use Blender's VSE as well. I'm very interested to know what that plug-in is that you were referring to if you don't mind. Also, the VSE doesn't have real-time view on the render preview. Do you usually have a workaround for that or does it not bother you? I'm thinking of switching to Shotcut for editing because of that reason.
The plug-in I was referring to, is actually a Python script which you can find on this github page:

https://github.com/mikeycal/the-vide...ster/README.md

Check out Mikeycal Meyers YouTube channel for an 11 min. tutorial:

To answer your last question: there is a real-time render preview in Blender (though I don't use it). And as far as the slow render times are concerned: I let my projects render overnight, so I really don't need a plug-in to help me speed up rendering. But for those who need it, this might come in handy.

Last edited by Runlevel Two; 11-15-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Runlevel Two is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #25
El Director
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedramyz View Post
Among the ones that u need to pay for, which software is the best one or most commonly used?
Depends in what industry. YouTubers and a lot of independents use Premiere. Serious filmmakers and Hollywood movies use Avid (there's a free version too).

Sure there are always exceptions, but this is generally what you see right now.
El Director is offline   Reply With Quote