Lightweight editor

indietalk

IndieTalk Founder
Staff Member
Admin
What is a good lightweight editor I can run on an older comp (6mb ram, i3)?

Just need basic editing functions to cut stuff together to music. A bonus would be flexibility with effects like making something look like it was shot in super 8, or adding scratches, grain, filters, etc.

Thanks for the help.

PS. I have Adobe Premiere Pro CC (After Effects etc.). I am not an editor tho, and find it cumbersome and daunting because I never really got to learn it. And stupid Adobe does not include "Essentials" software in the CC!!!! That pisses me off but I digress. ;)

I can upgrade my ram to 8 or 16 btw.

And I checked out DaVinci Resolve but this comp will not handle it. No way. Since not an editor don't really want to spend $$$$ on an editing comp.

Just need basic editing functions to cut stuff together to music. A bonus would be flexibility with effects like making something look like it was shot in super 8, or adding scratches, grain, filters, etc.

Would this not slow things down? Think you need to buy a new laptop. You can upgrade to 16 Ram and buy a solid state drive.. .. How old is this Laptop of yours? Can it be upgraded with a video card?

Last edited:
No i meant mb. This us a Commodore 64 :lol:

I loved my Commodore 64! We had MAD Magazine’s “Spy vs. Spy”... I played the hell outta that game.

AVID MC First may be a decent option. Unlike ProTools First, you have unlimited projects and local storage. Should be more than enough for simple cuts. AVID’s system requirements page notes that i5 processors are not supported, but there are posts in the AVID forums about people running fine on an i3. Definitely up the RAM if you can, though.

Adobe Premiere Elements is still a buyout offering. No subscription required and under $100. The downside is that it’s Premiere Elements and can be clunky to use.

If all you need is basic video editing functions, I can recommend Blender. It has all you will need and probably more, runs on lower end systems blazingly fast, is totally free to use, and you can even edit 4K material if you like, by using proxies. Check it out, you won't be disappointed. The Blender Frenzy channel on YouTube has great tutorials that will get you up & running in an hour or two.

Windows 10
64 bit
Intel Core i3-2120 @3.30 ghz
6 gb ram (4 slots, 16gb max)
Intel HD Graphics card with 32 mb vram

Okay my question is, if I upgrade my ram to 16, would the rest be okay for running Premiere? Want to edit some HD to music nothing fancy, no 4k... thanks.

You know how web browsers used to be so clunky, like Explorer and such. They would bog down and were so bloated with junk. Then came along Chrome which was lightweight and able to accomplish the same and more, faster, due to technology (V8 javascipt, etc.)...

Since I am not an editor I wondered if the same had ever applied to NLEs.

So granted, I could use an upgrade or even a new computer... in the editing world, was there ever a "Chrome" so to speak that changed the game?

It looks like Resolve is trying to do that by streamlining so many needs into one, but it requires a ton of resources.

So granted, I could use an upgrade or even a new computer... in the editing world, was there ever a "Chrome" so to speak that changed the game?

It looks like Resolve is trying to do that by streamlining so many needs into one, but it requires a ton of resources.
Everything in movie making will cost a lot of money think the specs for a decent editing Laptop are not that much compared to a camera, lenses, mics, mixers...etcetra. From your perspective..... its a lot of resources from a editor or color grader perspective 16 GB ram or 32 GB Ram would be a minimum...

Don't want to sound to arrogant. I want a extra editing laptop, but at this moment I can't afford that :)

Last edited:
Hitfilm, Premiere, Avid First are the ones that come off the top of my head for low end machines. It's going to struggle, but if you're only doing simple stuff, you should be able to chug through.

If you continue to use Blender, I'd like to hear how you go.

Back