Got my first Super 8, need some help!

I finally ordered my first Super 8 camera the other day, an Eumig Sound 30XL, not sure if that one is very good, I mistakenly just bought it on impulse, nothing I can do about it now. May sell it and get a Canon 518 SV, is that a good idea? Also, I realized that the film needs to be developed. Is that an expensive process? I was under the impression that you could just shoot the film, and put it into a projector and watch, but I stupidly didn't do enough research before buying.

How exactly does that process work?

I would appreciate some general advice as well.

Thanks

I found a pack on another auction site that has a Yashica 25 and a Kodak M24 with two rolls of I think Kodachrome and a bag, which I could probably end up getting for around $50. They are untested, but are described as being very clean. Should I take the chance?

Also, does Kodachrome use the E-6 process to develop?

Nah, Kodachrome uses K-16. Only Dwayne's does that still... and I'm not sure how long they'll do it, with Kodacrhome film discontinued years ago. (That's old filmstock you're looking at)

The Ectachrome 64T uses E-6

I think you should research more cameras, and what options are available, before spending anything. Just spend a week looking at the various auctions, and seeing what you can get for what.

Exactly. Ask some more questions and do your research, these cameras aren't going anywhere, they've been around a few decades already ;)

Well, I can get an M22 for $15, and the seller says it's guaranteed to work. This one has manual exposure, is that right? No manual focus though. I just don't have much money at all, as I said, I'm 16 years old and I have no job at the moment. I can save up for a little while, would you guys recommend that instead?

Could you guys just suggest a few cheap cameras to start out with to lead me in the right direction?

Oh, I found a Canon 318 that I may be able to get for around $20. Would that be good?

Last edited:
The Nizo is a nice camera and that's a fair price.

The Canon 318 is okay, too. It only shoots 18FPS but if you aren't
going to transfer to video for editing, that doesn't matter. It has
no shutter or exposure control so you may grow out of it quickly.

My advice is to get the camera you can afford. The real expence
is going to come when you start shooting super 8.

Ok, that makes sense. I could afford quite a bit, but it would take time, and I'm not sure if I'd keep up with super 8. I'll see what happens. Still selling some stuff, I'll see how much I get.

If a camera has corroded batteries in the compartment, is there a way to clean it out or anything?

That's a good deal. The good thing about ebay is you can sell it for what you bought it for. You can buy, shoot, sell, buy, shoot, sell, so don't worry too much about the camera right now.

Ok, I'm about to buy an 814 for $70. Scored a deal. The seller says it makes sounds when batteries are put in.

Seller said it "makes sounds"? :hmm:

That doesn't mean anything at all.

When that (typical uninsured SoCal) driver totalled my car a few months back... my car still "made sounds" when you turned the key in the ignition. Had a slight issue, though, with none of the wheels being able to move.

Canon 814 is a nifty camera, but I'd be taking a very careful look at the seller if the best he/she can say is, "It makes sounds."

Well, he said when he puts batteries in and presses the trigger, it rolls. I know it's a risk, but even then I can go back sell it for more. The seller has 1000+ feedback on ebay, but obviously he doesn't know much about super 8. I'll see what happens, I guess.

Super-8 buyer check list:
  • Have you ever used this camera and developed the film?
  • Is the lens free of scratches/marks?
  • Is the filter ring dented or dinged?
  • Does the motor run on all speeds?
  • Does the motorized zoom work on all speeds?
  • Is the battery chamber corrosion free?
  • How does it look cosmetically?

Ok, I got a projector today for free, and have a few questions. When I project, the light rectangle has some fibers in the picture, and I've clean the lens, so I'm assuming it's something inside the unit? Is there anything I can do about this?

Also, how loud is a projector typically? This one is pretty loud, and it's been sitting on a shelf for quite a few years, should I put some lube on it?

Back