Sound and crystal-sync

Hey everyone, yet more questions.

I understand the principles of the crystal-sync motor, but just how bad will the end result be without it? I am going to shoot some short (30 sec) interview type clips, and I was planning on just recording the dialouge on a separate DV camera and sync it all up with a clapboard.

Also, in anticipation of being told that I absolutely must use a camera with crystal-sync, can anyone give me recommendations on a good camera?

Thanks.

Robert

You don't absolutely have to use crystal sync.. everyone's favorite indie icon/hero/whatever Robert Rodriguez didn't use a sync camera for 'El Mariachi'

You might need to do some time compressing/expanding on the audio to get it to stay in sync with the picture.. BUT, the shorter the clips, the better it will stay in sync. 30 second clips are probably ok, there might be a bit of slippage, but you can always tweak it out with audio editing software by compressing or expanding the runtime of the sound clip.

Hope that helps a bit.

You can stretch/compress, but that doesn't fix the ebb and flow. Also, you would be changing the pitch of the sound. You need crystal sync for dialogue.

Will Vincent said:
Well.. you could fix the ebb and flow.. I'm not saying it would be easy or enjoyable to do.. but it could be done.
But the ebb and flow would be in the picture, not the sound. A camera with no crystal sync is not running at a contant speed. The film will not look right after adding/removing frames.

Will Vincent said:
Well.. you could fix the ebb and flow.. I'm not saying it would be easy or enjoyable to do.. but it could be done.

You're absolutely right,it can be done.Always record some ambience or room tone on location to add in needed frames.The cool thing about NLE's that you can put in mini(1 or 2 frame)crossfades to smooth out audio edits.Keep the sync shots short,cutaways can save your butt here.

Rent (or buy) a crystal-sync camera. Save the headaches and man-hours fixing it in post. Just my opinion. If you want lip-sync, do it the right way.

indietalk said:
Rent (or buy) a crystal-sync camera. Save the headaches and man-hours fixing it in post. Just my opinion. If you want lip-sync, do it the right way.

I agree,that's the best way to go.Yet often independent filmmakers have to make do with what's on hand.I would take gigs back in the 16mm days that the guys with the bigger budget rigs (Arri 16SR's and such)wouldn't touch.,wouldn't be cost effective to them.I could do the gig for what the client could pay because I wasn't renting or making payments on a high dollar camera.

You also have to look at how much sync sound you're really doing on a given project.If more than say 50% of your projects will be requiring it,then it may be worth considering paying for a crystal sync conversion.

Back