> 48khz @ 16 bit Audio: Professional Standard?

So, I'm listening to some tutorials on my new Merry Christmas to Me software (Adobe Premier Elements 10) and ran across this:
http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-pre...standing-options-when-creating-a-new-project/

For context begin @ 3:10, but precisely at 3:30, to 4:06.
"48khz @ 16 bit is industry standard for professional audio"

Is that about right? Even for distribution purposes, (not that I'm laughably anywhere near that level)?

I think many of our consumer/prosumer camcorders, DSLRs, and low end Tascams and Zooms record at 48/16.

If correct, then why do our audios sound "not as good" as the considerably more expensive equipment reportedly can provide?
If 48/16 is industry standard and we're recording 48/16 something is amiss?

(Five bucks says "it's a little more complicated than that")

TIA!

If correct, then why do our audios sound "not as good" as the considerably more expensive equipment reportedly can provide?
If 48/16 is industry standard and we're recording 48/16 something is amiss?

(Five bucks says "it's a little more complicated than that")

1920 x 1080 is an "industry standard" - you can bet your bottom dollar that an ARRI Alexa makes much higher quality images than a T2i, though.

DVDs are 48/16, if I recall. You can keep your fiver. With cheaper equipment comes cheaper equipment. In this case it means noisier. So the .wav you are creating is the same quality as a dvd, but you're getting noise from the cheap preamps, your microphone, inexperienced boom ops, etc, etc, to infinitiy etc.

A high level production will have better quality gear, creating a better signal to noise ratio. Again, it's complicated. Maybe think of it like writing on a piece of A4 paper with a bic compared to A4 and a fountain pen. The medium is the same, but the tools used on create noticably different results.

As I harp on again and again and again, the skill with which the equipment is used is just as, if not more, important than the equipment. If you match high degrees of skill with the best equipment available you get the best quality product.

BTW, I and a very large percentage of my peers do our editing and mixing at much higher bit/sample rates. I work at 24bit/96kHz, and some even work at 24/192. This is then dithered down to 16/48 for DVD. HD is 24/96, which is another reason why I work at 24/96 in case my client wants HD audio.

Thank you, folks!
I get it now.
Likely.
Possibly.

48/16 or 16/48, which have you, may be DVD standard, but is certainly not the top collection rate.

Josh - I get the paper and pen analogy perfectly.

Alcove - record and work at higher b/s rates before saving to lower rates makes perfect sense. And please don't sweat the "monkey with a microphone" part. :lol: I'm good on that. Or at least as good as possible. ;)

I'm not much of a audio person per se, but it's simply amazing to me how much I enjoy adding to my native visual strengths with fiddling around with audio stuff.
I swear I spend an equal amount of time fiddling with my audio as I do my video and don't mind a single moment of it.
It's odd to me.
I like audio more than I ever would have thought before I started fooling with and paying more attention to it.

Thank you, again, folks.

Last edited:
Back