Avengers: Age of Ultron?

I didn't like Avengers because of it's LOOOONG action scenes at the end. Continuous actions made me fall asleep. I hope they won't do the same in this one.

Looks good. I am one of the relatively few people who thought that The Avengers was a piece of crap (completely agree with Inarius about the action sequence at the end............).

But James Spader is a great choice to provide that voice, and I like the music in the trailer and it looks kind of playfully serious. I also like the addition of Elizabeth Olsen and Aaron Taylor-Johnson to the mix. But yeah, I won't be getting very excited about this before it comes out, but I'll go and watch it I guess.

I am one of the relatively few people who thought that The Avengers was a piece of crap (completely agree with Inarius about the action sequence at the end............).

Nah, there's loads of us that feel the same over here. We tend to have a bit more of a cynical outlook on action films as it is anyway (though it could just be the people I know), but the Avengers took the biscuit. I too fell asleep. :D

I am excited! I loved the first...it was a lot of fun. I absolutely get people who didn't like the long action sequences, but I didn't mind. More than that, I love the shared universe of the Marvel films. Doubly so now that we're getting through most of the origin stories. They've never been my favorite part of comics.

But anyway, on to the new stuff. HULKBUSTER! James Spader as Ultron! Interesting that they're doing Ultron before Ant-Man, but some things change (and if the change is what I think it is, that leads well into Civil War, which they're doing with Cap 3). It's going to be fun to compare and contrast Quicksilver with the X-Men film version (I liked Evan Peters in the role). And Scarlet Witch, who unfortunately, will NOT be leading towards House of M. "No more...whatever the euphamism we use for mutants in the Marvel films...gifted? That's it. No more gifted!" And their dad is just some guy, you know? (for non-geeky folks, it's Magneto)

Yeah. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm a complete comics book nerd, so I'm through the roof about this. I feel like James Spader is going to completely steal the show. I'm also excited to see the Hulkbuster suit in action. I'm happy to see Marvel following through on the Winter Soldier end credits scene, but how is Marvel allowed to use Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver? Doesn't Fox Searchlight own the X-Men rights?

I'm a complete comics book nerd, so I'm through the roof about this. I feel like James Spader is going to completely steal the show. I'm also excited to see the Hulkbuster suit in action. I'm happy to see Marvel following through on the Winter Soldier end credits scene, but how is Marvel allowed to use Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver? Doesn't Fox Searchlight own the X-Men rights?

Although it is true they are part of the House of M (? Magneto's children? I'm not an X-Men fan), they are major members of the Avengers comics more than they are of X-Men. Which is a legal loop-hole in the film agreement between Marvel and Fox. However it restricts Marvel to the characters as how they are in the Avengers comics, and the same Fox is restricted to how they are in the X-Men. It's a lot of more complicated logic... but yea.

basically fox can use them, but can't mention the avengers. marvel can use them, but can't use the word "mutant" or mention magneto is their father.

House of M was a major even that carried into all the books at the time. One of the better ones, actually, as opposed to the Civil War event which was a good idea that was handled poorly (though did set up my favorite superhero comic of all time: the Deadpool/GLI Summer Fun Spectacular!). Sadly, because of the mutant issue, it doesn't look like they're going to be doing House of M anytime soon.

Ug. That legal restrictions stuff is crazy. Obviously putting a drag on the Marvel Universe story lines. Too bad they can't just decide to play nice together.

How can you possibly put X-Men and Avenger into the same story?
In X-Men, mutants are outlaws, hunted by the government. In Avengers, the same mutants are heroes. Well, not all of them. But to the rest of the people it makes no difference, whether powers come from biological mutation, alien planet, or iron suit.
Putting those 2 things together makes no sense.

How can you possibly put X-Men and Avenger into the same story?
In X-Men, mutants are outlaws, hunted by the government. In Avengers, the same mutants are heroes. Well, not all of them. But to the rest of the people it makes no difference, whether powers come from biological mutation, alien planet, or iron suit.
Putting those 2 things together makes no sense.

That's kind of a contradicting statement.

X-Men and Avengers are part of the same comic Universe. Specific character, Deadpool, has even broken the fourth wall with Spiderman to make reference that Spiderman is really Tobey Maguire... (both of which have had interactions within Shield. If you're into video proof only, the new animated Spiderman show has a episode of Deadpool & how he used to be a Shield agent.)

Also I do believe X-Men and Avengers have fought (also due to Deadpool's pranks)... and worked together in the case of Infinite Crisis? (I believe all of Marvel was involved in that? My Marvel knowledge is limited... lol)

Also....

The Scarlet Witch has been featured in five decades of Marvel continuity, starring in two self-titled limited series with husband the Vision and as a regular team member in superhero title the Avengers.

Wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarlet_Witch

This is drawing from the mists of time. But when I was a kid (Remember, that was long ago.), I think one of the coolest comic books I had was an X-Men/Avengers mash-up involving taking on Galactus together, or something like that. I'm not sure. Maybe it never happened. Maybe I'm imagining it? I don't have those comics anymore. :( Well, I didn't take good care of them, either. I don't recall that they actually did much cool with it, for sure. I just remember that the very idea of it was cool.

Which makes me wonder: when do we get to see this guy, Galactus, in a movie? Who owns him? :P I mean, I guess he was at least hinted at by putting the Silver Surfer in the second Fantastic Four film. But where is he now? Could be awesome.

This is drawing from the mists of time. But when I was a kid (Remember, that was long ago.), I think one of the coolest comic books I had was an X-Men/Avengers mash-up involving taking on Galactus together, or something like that. I'm not sure. Maybe it never happened. Maybe I'm imagining it? I don't have those comics anymore. :( Well, I didn't take good care of them, either. I don't recall that they actually did much cool with it, for sure. I just remember that the very idea of it was cool.

Which makes me wonder: when do we get to see this guy, Galactus, in a movie? Who owns him? :P I mean, I guess he was at least hinted at by putting the Silver Surfer in the second Fantastic Four film. But where is he now? Could be awesome.

Galactus, to my knowledge, is owned by Sony along with Silver Surfer. However Sony has stated they are willing to cooperate with Marvel when it comes time for the Avengers to face Thanos in the Infinity Gauntlet. Which involves Galactus and Spiderman. I won't discuss it past that... for reasons obvious being potential spoiler for Avengers 3 or 4....

That's kind of a contradicting statement.

X-Men and Avengers are part of the same comic Universe. Specific character, Deadpool, has even broken the fourth wall with Spiderman to make reference that Spiderman is really Tobey Maguire... (both of which have had interactions within Shield. If you're into video proof only, the new animated Spiderman show has a episode of Deadpool & how he used to be a Shield agent.)

I know they are from the same universe, and I didn't mean Spiderman or Deadpool. I've meant Avengers and X-Men. I don't know how can they be involved in the same story, and how they live in the same world. I think the entire Marvel universe is full of contradictions.

As I mentioned above, X-Men mutants are forced into hiding, because all the world sees them as danger, as freaks, as those who are different. But then, there are Avengers, who match to all the "mutants" criteria. But they do not hide. On the contrary, the world calls them heroes.

Am I alone who asks that question?:(

I know they are from the same universe, and I didn't mean Spiderman or Deadpool. I've meant Avengers and X-Men. I don't know how can they be involved in the same story, and how they live in the same world. I think the entire Marvel universe is full of contradictions.

As I mentioned above, X-Men mutants are forced into hiding, because all the world sees them as danger, as freaks, as those who are different. But then, there are Avengers, who match to all the "mutants" criteria. But they do not hide. On the contrary, the world calls them heroes.

Am I alone who asks that question?:(

You're looking at this from the perspective of the movies current standing. X-Men might be looked at as freaks by the government, but so is The Hulk (and other members that have yet appeared). Also the government questions the Avengers team multiple times if they are really worth being used to defend earth. The media in Marvel U. also questions if the Avengers even are Heroes and that they do more damage than the actual villains.

The only reason Avengers aren't in hiding (aside from the fact some of them are very far from the definition of Mutant. i.e. Tony Stark, Captain America, Thor, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Vision...) is because they are 'under control' of Shield, a government agency.

As Scarlet Witch shows, X-Men also are capable of becoming Avengers and being considered 'heroes'. I think when Civil War starts in Captain America 3 you'll understand how the public really views the Avengers.

Attempt to make this absolutely clear: X-Men are self-functioning group run by Xavier. Therefore not under government control. Avengers are government controlled. X-Men at times are looked at the same way we view ISIS.

PS- Deadpool was an X-Man. Spiderman is an Avenger.

What SkyCopeland said.

Plus, I would emphasize this:

The only reason Avengers aren't in hiding (aside from the fact some of them are very far from the definition of Mutant. i.e. Tony Stark, Captain America, Thor, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Vision...) is because they are 'under control' of Shield, a government agency.

Not referring to the canon in the comic books, but in the films, I don't see the problem you describe. In the X-Men films, the mutants are feared and despised because they are the products of the evolutionary process and natural selection. Supposedly. And as Magneto is founding of saying, they are a new, superior human species. There's inherent conflict in that. Plus, there's no point in ignoring the LGBT subtext of the films. The persecution of the mutants is intentionally like the persecution of gay people.

None of the Avenger characters Sky listed, with the exception of the Scarlet Witch, is that kind of mutant. So, humanity doesn't fear or loathe them in the same way. They might be considered dangerous or a threat, as well, but more in the way vigilantes like Batman might be. And add to that fact that their fights cause billions of dollars worth of damage! Good grief.

The Fantastic Four are interesting in that I would think that they too would be considered mutants. But their mutations were caused by an accident, the kind of accident that could happen to anybody given the right circumstances. I guess the Hulk is in the same boat there. So, they don't represent some new, dangerous competitive human species, or something.

Althoooouuuugh. :P I guess we do know that Mr. and Mrs. Fantastic did produce a super mutant offspring. So maybe they could in fact represent a new line of human species just like the X-Men mutants do.

And they did play with the 'are they heroes, or are they dangerous freaks thing' a little bit in the Fantastic Four films.

So I think it all more-or-less fits together all right.

The Fantastic Four are interesting in that I would think that they too would be considered mutants. But their mutations were caused by an accident, the kind of accident that could happen to anybody given the right circumstances. I guess the Hulk is in the same boat there. So, they don't represent some new, dangerous competitive human species, or something.

On that topic... As with the Avengers, The Fantastic Four are public figures. Specifically everyone in the Marvel Universe knows the real identities of The Fantastic Four. They know the identity of Captain America, Iron Man, Thor (although that's kind of hard to swallow that a god walks earth, I'm sure theres a comic about it), and in some ways I assume they know about the others.

X-Men are a different story... A lot of them were in hiding before Xavier went public. Therefore some of them have never even been registered in any countries. Some beyond any recognition of human (Nightcrawler & Mystic for examples).

You'll really understand this when Captain America 3 happens and starts Civil War. There is security in knowing someone's full name.

Wait. Captain America IS a mutant, just not naturally. Hulk as mutant as well. Thor... well, he's ALIEN!!! And from the experiences of alien encounter in Marvel universe, all aliens are invaders. Now go and try to explain them, that one alien protects you from another...

And keep in mind, that what we know, is not necessary what the Marvel Earth citizens know. They probably can't tell the difference between Iron Man and Hulk, and might think both as mutants. They probably don't know what SHIELD is, but they do see the Avengers fight enemies on the streets. And then they see Magneto with his mutants.

Anyway, I get the point, I don't read comics, I watch movies, where many things are not shown. But Marvel can't expect everyone to go into comics and seek answers for their question from there. It is a good thing, but not everyone will do that. :)

Back