• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch I won best Villian in our 48 hr fest

I have been doing these 48 hr fests every year since I was 7. This was the first time doing a Horror 48 hr fest. What was great is that I was on the team that I hired to shoot/edit my feature. This was their first time doing a 48 hr film fest. They were complete rookies because they didnt have any preplanned ideas. They wrote three scripts. The second one I memorized my lines on Friday night went to bed and had to be on set at 9. It was all for nothing cuz When I woke up they decided to write the third script. The prop was an eye lash curler. The line was "squish you like a bug."

It also won best movie. There were only 24 teams as this is a local Boise event. But it was awesome to win anyways. It was really awesome that I just had to worry about acting and not one other thing.

http://youtu.be/MLIOKKRAV2E

Congrats, and nice work! I enjoyed it overall, although I felt the montage went on a little too long - after a while we get the idea and just continue seeing more of the same thing. Related to that, I would have liked to see something more at the end, as I felt like by the time we get there it delivers pretty much exactly what we'd expect. i.e. once he delivers the line at around the ~4 minute mark we basically know the ending, even though we've still got 3 more minutes of running time - the final scene should have escalated the concept more.

They were complete rookies because they didnt have any preplanned ideas.

We never have pre-planned ideas - isn't that the whole point of the competition?

I really dug it, definitely saw the inspiration straight from Dexter!! Didn't dig the music, though... And I thought the color grading could've been a bit darker, the lighting felt too warm. But I think it deserved best villain for sure

It donned on me.. Thanks. Would love to know what your thinking. For the regular 48's I sort of have a concept if I get comedy, western, action etc. Sometimes I will run with it sometimes I will change it.

Twin Cities-Thanks for watching. Youre the second person that mentioned Dexter. I'm not familiar with that show. I can see your point n the color grading for sure. Thanks for the villain compliment.

good job man, i enjoyed. and thought the music complimented the film through Irony. and Billy Bob's bugs be out was awesome.

Yeah you've done a decent job here, would agree broadly with what others have said - the montage felt a bit of a drag, and you could change the color grading to make it a little darker, but it's enjoyable and I can definitely see why you won the best villain title! Nice one.

Cool- Thanks Guys. The 48 hour fests are always fun. First time in the last couple of years I wasnt in charge. Way more enjoyable when you just have to act instead of doing the entire thing.

We never have pre-planned ideas - isn't that the whole point of the competition?

That's always been my take.. you're technically not suppose to do anything ahead of time. Of course, if you want to be successful you need to get some of your ducks in a row beforehand, but.. *shrug*

I really dislike these competitions, since the rules pretty much say that you're not supposed to prepare anything in advance, IMHO they encourage sloppy half-assed work, and that shows in most of the end products, exceptions being those who 'cheat' by preparing for various scenarios ahead of time.

Will, I sorta agree, sorta don't. I hate watching films that could be a comedy or western meaning they were running with an idea no matter what.

I have no problem with teams that pre plan getting actors, locations, ideas beforehand.

Although in my case I have found my stuff turns out better when I go with an open mind.

Like this one. There was not an ounce of preplanning. Down to getting other actors involved.

since the rules pretty much say that you're not supposed to prepare anything in advance

The rules say you're not supposed to do any creative work - basically premise/story/plot/script etc. They actually encourage you to prep resources though - locations, actors, props, gear, etc. The best films I've seen line up great resources ahead of time and then build their story to take maximum advantage of those. If you don't do that kind of thing ahead of time you're really going to struggle to do well in the time allotted - I'm always amazed to see things like calls for actors on facebook or craigslist on saturday morning of a 48 hour competition, but I do see them all the time.

Last edited:
Congrats on the win! Third script in the morning is always rough! I'm the music guy, so I've learned to just get a good night's sleep on Friday because everything will be different by the time the cameras start rolling Saturday morning!

I'm also in favor of prep-work. My current team assembles location shots and headshots of all the actors, so they can have them on Friday night, knowing what their resources will be. This is my second year with these guys (and fourth film!); they're far more organized than my previous team and I think it shows.

Congrats again!

Thanks Josh. There just fun to do. I dont take it to seriously if we win or not. There have been times I thought I shoud have won and didnt even make it to the finals. It's all subjective. They have an audience award every year and I ignore that. That just goes to whoever brings the most people.

We've won 5 audience choice awards, and never had more than about a dozen people in the audience - we've beat out teams that had 30+ people there - so it's definitely possible to win without stuffing the ballot. That's why they do the 'vote for your top 3' ballots.

It's a very different aspect of the competition than the juried part though - the audience tends to vote for the most entertaining/memorable ones (usually comedy) while the judges tend to look at them more from a quality of filmmaking perspective. The judges are different every year though, so what they're looking for can change quite a bit. We tend to not worry too much about the competition part and just make something that entertains us, which is generally something a little odd or quirky and seems to resonate more with the audience than the judges.

I also know for a long time they wanted the judges to sort of 'spread around' the awards, which produced some odd results where the overall winner might not win some technical awards even though they were clearly better than the ones that did win. I believe they officially changed that policy a few years ago though because it produced results that didn't accurately reflect the comparative quality of all the films.

Last edited:
Itdonnedonme. This is an Idaho won not a national one. The same group has won the audience award four years in a row. They have the most people every year. I actually told our team dont bother submitting a ballot. That team will win.

We were also surprised to get two of the four awards.

Again, it's all for fun and every time I can be in front of a camera all the better-to get better.

Yeah, my two experiences with the local 48hr festival were more than enough to cause me to shy away from them. The festival head outright told our producer (after she went and leveraged the competition some publicity through her job) that he'd have our back in the halloween festival. In the weeks leading up to it he'd contact the director to let him know inside info, he'd give them hints to get a head start on the script. It was an absolute farce.

There was a huge undercurrent of corruption through the whole thing. I just can't justify getting involved with them again, too corrupt, whether or not it's in my favor.

Cool and creepy! Though the way you rub those knives together - it would've blunted them out, not sharpened them. Overall cool stuff though.

Back