Need contract form for editor/composer

Hello. I just shot two documentaries and am about to hire an editor and composer. Can I state "work for hire" in their contracts? I want to keep the copyright to the materials, as I am the writer, producer and director. I am not paying much, but if they agree and get credit, I want to have a clear contract before they begin their work....as in how long they can take to finish up....I'd like them to wait 60 days before putting this on their reels, so I have no public competition when pitching for broadcast....etc.
Where can I find contracts online specifically for film/video editor and also for film/video composer? I have been searching all night. Since these are creative positions, it seems hard to find templates for legal contracts. Any ideas? Thanks so much!
Mary

hey mary

I am not sure about the contract aspect, but I am an aspiring composer and would love to see what you have for an idea for a score. I am working on my first score for a short film right now, and have a few more coming up. I would love the opportunity to show you what I can do.

Doug McCarthy
duugfresh@gmail.com

Hello. I just shot two documentaries and am about to hire an editor and composer. Can I state "work for hire" in their contracts? I want to keep the copyright to the materials, as I am the writer, producer and director. I am not paying much, but if they agree and get credit, I want to have a clear contract before they begin their work....as in how long they can take to finish up....I'd like them to wait 60 days before putting this on their reels, so I have no public competition when pitching for broadcast....etc.
I can't imagine a composer giving up the copyright to their music.
I'll be interested in hearing from you if you find composers willing
to give this up.

All editor contracts are work for hire so there is no issue there. Pay
them and you will still be able to own the copyright on the final
projects.

I would also suggest rethinking the 60 day window. I know that's
not much, really, but it it seems a little paranoid. And agreed upon
finish date is acceptable - even optimal - but not being about to use
the footage in a reel for 2 months seems to restrictive to me.
Where can I find contracts online specifically for film/video editor and also for film/video composer? I have been searching all night. Since these are creative positions, it seems hard to find templates for legal contracts. Any ideas? Thanks so much!
Mary
I typed "film/video contracts" into google And came up with dozens.

Mark Litwack's book "Contracts for the Film and Television Industry"
is my personal choice. Well worth the $25.

Check out:
www.ispgroupinc.com
www.musiccontracts.com
www.proposalkit.com
www.industrycontracts.com

To license music you will need two different sorts of documents. You will need a "Synchronization and Performance Rights Agreement" as well as a "Motion Picture Master-Use License" to use music in your film. The master-use agreement is what allows you to use the song the composer has made and the synchronization agreement is what allows you to use it in your particular film. You will need both for it to be legal. However, you will almost never find someone who will be willing to sell you their music for little money. I would not push this matter. The only way you can safely retain music is to license it from them for an agreed period of time for an agreed sum of compensation. After the license runs out it will need to be renewed or abandoned. You may find a composer who will license his/her music indefinitely, but that is on a case-by-case basis.

As for the Editor's contract, you will need nothing more than a standard deal memo. In it you would include the terms of agreement, that is to say what the editor will be doing, that he/she is work for hire, that they will be working for this particular production and will keep all matters confidential, how long they will be working and what deadlines you expect them to make, that they own no part of the production as they are work for hire, as well as the sum of compensation. If both parties sign this then it is a legally binding document. Be careful with what terms you stipulate as they are binding to you as well. Make sure you protect your work.

Please take note: This is not intended as a substitute for professional legal counsel. This is just our opinion.

If you have any more questions feel free to email us at info@loughrancg.com

The Loughran Consulting Group

Back