• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to properly use jump cuts?

I've seen this technic used in more recent films and some reenactment documentaries. I think it adds dramatic effect. If anyone has ever used this technic or knows how to please help me out thx.

I've used them some (sometimes out of necessity because there was no other way to edit it together). There are lots of times it works, just remember it's "jarring" to the viewer so I wouldn't use it at a soft low moment of the film, use it when you're trying to create tension or energy.

I'm not quite clear on your question. How do you use them? You just do. How do you use them "properly"? Mmm, that's kind of a loaded question. I think it's safe to say that most of the time, most directors try to avoid them, though there are exceptions.

For documentaries, to be honest, I think it's usually just laziness, and/or, the editor has nothing to work with as a cutaway. However, I happen to know that one documentarian on this forum uses them intentionally, as a way of reminding the audience that what they're watching is edited.

In narrative work, God, there could be a million reasons to use them, I think you're only limited by your imagination. On a movie like "Crank", I think they're probably used to speed up the action, and keep the energy at a frantic pace. In my own movie, I'm using them on a couple occasion -- once, during a musical montage, but that doesn't really count. The other time, I've got a dude tossing and turning in bed, and every time he repositions himself, I use a jump cut. In both of my own personal examples, I guess it could be seen as a way of showing passage of time? I dunno. I can't really tell you exactly why I wanted to use it, but I wrote it as a jump-cut, shot it as such, and I like the way it looks in post.

So, I think the answer is that there is no answer. Only you can decide what's "proper" and what's not.

Yes, I see them used in intense situations and I think it works really well. I was just wondering if there was a trick to it. Like making it look planned and not used as a last resort.

Like making it look planned and not used as a last resort.

Who give a shit? All that matters is what it looks like. The audience can speculate all they want, but at the end of the day -- does it work? That's your call to make. Play with it. If you like it, use it. If there are any rules for this method, I certainly haven't heard them.

Back