Film Markets and Sales Agents?

Hi there,

I am approaching the end of the edit of my first documentary feature and am now finding myself thinking more about distribution. During pre-production I had researched the topic and ended up with some goals in mind but after continued research I am still unsure about a few things.

My initial plan for distribution was Festivals/Independent Exhibition/TV/Home Video. Realistically it is unlikely that we will acquire theatrical distribution (but I guess you never know).

I have been approached by one of my festival choices (not one of the A -list but certainly respectable) who want to screen it and will also be submitting to the major independent festivals.

I am wondering if having the film shown from fairly well known and up to the big festivals (which is obviously down to where it gets accepted) will be sufficient in regard to acquiring any distribution interest or if I should also be considering looking at sales agents or attending markets? Or are these generally the preserve of films realistically looking at major theatrical release?

As stated it is unlikely that the film will break out into theatrical release but I am keen to sell to as many TV territories as possible and possibly acquire home video/online distribution if it appears to be more beneficial than doing this independently. I know who to contact domestically regarding TV broadcast but at present have no contacts at all for any other territories.

Any thoughts are hugely appreciated...

I am wondering if having the film shown from fairly well known and up to the big festivals (which is obviously down to where it gets accepted) will be sufficient in regard to acquiring any distribution interest or if I should also be considering looking at sales agents or attending markets? Or are these generally the preserve of films realistically looking at major theatrical release?
No to both questions. Screen at a fairly well known and up
to the big festivals is not enough. You need to consider sales
agents. You need to consider all avenues. No sales agents
and markets are not just for producers looking for theatrical
release.

the big festivals will be sufficient in regard to acquiring any distribution interest

As Rik said, no. It's a great step in the right direction. Distribution is about marketability and their ability to exploit your film. If you manage the acceptance of your film into the festival well - gaining lots of publicity, leveraging that into other marketing/publicity opportunities that may satisfy some of the publicity elements to get a distributor interested.

The ability to exploit is another kettle of fish.

No to both questions. Screen at a fairly well known and up
to the big festivals is not enough. You need to consider sales
agents. You need to consider all avenues. No sales agents
and markets are not just for producers looking for theatrical
release.

Thanks very much for the info.

In regard to sales agents, is there a good way of finding someone appropriate? Timing wise I still have at least a month of editing and two months before the first festival deadlines - is it best to wait until the film is finished or do I need to find someone ASAP or before putting festival submissions forward?

In regard to markets, are these something I should also definitely be looking at? If so I'm not sure how many I should be going for (I've read that MIPCOM/TV and AFM are essential) and the necessity of accreditation (which from what I've read means you may have to essentially wait outside if you don't have it).

In regard to sales agents, is there a good way of finding someone appropriate?
Research, research, research. Start six months ago.

In regard to markets, are these something I should also definitely be looking at? If so I'm not sure how many I should be going for (I've read that MIPCOM/TV and AFM are essential) and the necessity of accreditation (which from what I've read means you may have to essentially wait outside if you don't have it).
The markets are primarily for distributors with a library of movies
selling the right to territories worldwide. Not for individual filmmakers
with one movie looking for distribution. You find a distributor, they take
your movie to AFM and MICOMP. Definitely look at the markets.

Back