Biograph Color Correction

Well i was watching this youtube video and I discovered a style of film called biograph now it was black and white and this was when film was in its infant stages. Now what im wondering is that is there a way to recreate this style of film with color correction?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnIqTnTl-dI

Thats the type of style im looking to recreate^

Probably gonna be a bit more involved than plain ol' colour correction.

Different (and inconsistant) frame-rates, jitter, dust & scratches, and a very distict blur thing that I don't know the name of. Exaggerated motion of actors. Good times. :cool:

Sure, you can definitely recreate that kind of look on digital fooatge. Heck, you could even shoot it on film for extra autheticity. Plenty of old 8mm & 16mm cameras for cheap, if you're not getting ones with sweet fancy glass.

Red Giant makes a tonne of software for fancy changes in post. Might want to take a look at what they can do. Plenty of examples on YouTube, too. Anything you can do to prep in advance for on-camera's even better.

Good luck with it. :)

I can do this with my FCP 3-wheel color corrector and my magic bullet misfire plug-in.

just shoot the scene handheld so you get that shakiness, open fcp, open 3 wheel filter, desaturate the color, blow out the whites, lift the blacks until they're all grey, play with the mid tones until the overall contrast and brightness looks right, add a blur filter (just a couple pixels should do it), open your Misfire filter, turn on Flicker so you get that fluctuating exposure, add lens dust and dirt and a little bit of scratches, add film grain. Don't forget to crop your footage to 4:3 aspect ratio and drop the frame rate. Done!

Last edited:
Back