• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Quitting a script midway?

Would it be stupid to finish a screenplay that im not really planning on shooting or selling and go onto something else? Or would it be efficent to finish something im starting to hate so i can make the mistakes of writing an absolutle terrible script?

Hope it isnt the wrong thread. Ive just got plentyyy to write and im hating what i originally thought would've been alot better script. Just wondering what other writers would do in the situation?

If you know where it's going at least finish the first draft, then, you can put it on the pile, and move on. It will make coming back to it easier, and you may end up liking it. Plus it's an accomplishment and a number.

If you think its crap, yes, by all means, trash it now. Kill it and move on ASAP. Your script has to be super GREAT if it is ever to amount to something, so it its not headed in that direction, cut your losses.

Good luck.

What percentage of scripts that get written do you think get shot or sold? How many do you think people even try and shoot or sell?

That said if you don't think it's working then start something else. Life's a game without infinite time, so play your cards wisely.

Personally, I would probably ditch it if I couldn't re-envision it and make it better. I just hate wasting time on things that I don't like >.<;

There's no point exhausting yourself on a project that you haven't got faith in. Save your energy up for when you get a better idea, and use it on that =]

My only question would be: have you ever finished a script before?

If the answer is yes, then by all means ditch the one you're not into. File it away for later reference/completion/laughs.

If the answer is no, then finish it. Don't get in the habit of not finishing things. You may have just hit the midpoint slump (common when writing novels) where you get sick of your story. It happens to everyone. Push through it. Finish the first draft. Then put it away for a few weeks. Go back to it after that time and then decide whether it's really crap or not. If you decide it is, then toss it in a drawer and forget about it. But you might decide it's salvageable and rewrite it instead.

My only question would be: have you ever finished a script before?

Cameron brings up a very good point here. This is something for writers in general to ponder. Writing a screenplay is somewhat different than let's say a novel -- the latter can get by with a couple rewrites and tidied up by an editor. Screenplays -- those with a chance of being made, are re-written over and over again, critiqued the hell out of, then re-written again, repeat. If one isn't able to complete a first draft, the screenplay writing business may not be for you.

Good luck to all you writers!

If you need a break from your project, then set it aside... but don't abandon it.

Sometimes we all need to just step back and take a breather. :cool:

Quit with the pre-emptive negativity, too:

• Quitting
  • stupid
  • not really planning on shooting
  • starting to hate
  • mistakes
  • writing an absolutle terrible script
  • Hope it isnt the wrong
  • im hating what i originally thought

Maybe you ain't hittin' all the notes you need to be playin', right now, but that doesn't mean some inspiration isn't right around the corner.

Dwelling on the shortcomings will only seal the failure. :cool:

I suggest, as a general rule, to finish it. Think of it as a learning process. If you know where the scripts headed, just finish it off. Power through to the end. It's a good habit. Finish.

Hope this helps, this is the way I look at your writing dilemma... take it with a grain of salt, I am not rich or famous.

You must write often. Keep writing even if its drivel.

On several occasions in the past with a few of my scripts, I get to a point in the first draft, where I question "would this have an audience?" IF the answer is YES, I finish the first draft. THEN store it away for 6 months.
If the answer is NO, I save it with a question mark.

Why? Because you never know what the future will bring. When or where your creativity or mind will slap you in the face next. You may have something on paper (computer) that sounds stupid today, that might be the answer to a future project down the road. Save everything.

But most important WRITE. WRITE & REWRITE. WRITE & REWRITE, REWRITE, REWRITE.

Then maybe, just maybe. Someone will come along -- read what you wrote and like it. Or trash it. Either way, live and learn -- but keep writing.

Hope this helps.

Well, I'm not that much into quitting, but half of a first draft is not to far to quit. I mean, you have to finish writting it, re-writting it, trashing it and writting it again...

Anyhow, do you like Harry Potter? Remember the pensieve? Art is kinda like that. The idea of what you want to write, paint, photograph or film, will keep coming back and distracting you. You can avoid that, by "removing" it from your mind and placing it on, let's say, a script.

...also, many movies are made based on the merging of two ideas\scripts.. etc.

This happens constantly. I have a bout three cool-awesome ideas that were once six mediocre-poor ideas.

Save that ish mang, you never know when a thought or crucial puzzle piece will pop into your head that fits your unfinished script.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Don Patterson, i like your advice alot. Thats generally what i try to live up to when writing.

Jake, ive watched the last four Harry Potters but not the first four so im not sure which one that oh what you speak was in. But it sure as hell makes alot of sense.

hepabst, i write my scripts in an outline. Not a complete story outline. But an outline of all the events in each act but leave enough space open to surprise myself and write something in the story not previously planned but all the more relevent.

Thanks again everyone.

Back