• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

So I want to make a film about Simo Häyhä.

I'm sure some of you, especially Finnish Nationals, know about Simo Häyhä, the legendary sniper from the Winter War who, among others, survived an AT Rifle round to the face (that is 12.7mm) and lived, coming out of a coma on the last day of the war.

I feel Simo's story, untouched would in it's self make a good movie, but I want to know what more experienced people think of this.

Thoughts? Thanks. :D

Note-Am being rushed, sorry.

For American audiences or Finnish audiences? I'm afraid it would be perceived as a rip-off of "American Sniper". While I appreciate your interest, I suspect most Americans would be totally uninterested. Most Americans don't have a clue where Finland is and fewer know what the "Winter War" is. It may be very interesting to a Finnish audience, though as a period piece, it will be expensive to film. I think you'd have to sell this script to a European producer. I'd never suggest that you shouldn't write the script. I just think, in terms of energy, it will be difficult to find a market for it.

There is one greenlighted now. The director says the interest towards it is enormous.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4555288/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_2

But a rare skill like this sure is interesting. In a documentary the sniper says that the russians had a troublemaker-sniper themselves and other Finns even knew where he was. Pointed him out for Häyhä. Häyhä went there. From 300 meters away he aimed and fired. Commented later "and so much luck I had that the first bullet made it crack".

funny enough, I was chatting to my mate last year about Simo, saying its a wonder they haven't made a film about him yet (saw Simo on the Listverse top 10 sniper)... Maybe look at the story of Lyudmila Pavlichenko...She was a Soviet sniper with the highest toll for a woma (339 I think). Think it would be more interesting looking at the effects of War on a Woman, and the treatment etc

Don't do it man. Finnish people have seen too many winter war movies. Most of them are bad. You have to chance the story and people so much that you can make it international and :D then it can end up like Mannerheim with Kenyan people acting Finnish.

Back