• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

separate version for projector screening?

Hey guys,
One of the music videos I recently did is being featured at a release party. We'll be using a projector (the band isn't sure what brand or anything yet, just a basic home projector) and I wanted to know if I should be making a separate version for proper display with a projected image. I would imagine that upping the contrast with a slightly increased S-curve might do the trick, add some sharpening/unsharp mask, maybe increase/decrease saturation? Beyond that, would I want to export with any special settings (specifically bitrate and framerate)?

We'll be doing a screening prior to the release, so I'll definitely be tinkering with the picture settings of the actual projector on that day. I just want to be prepared before then in case any unexpected issues come up (that I hope somebody has experience with and can inform me of).

Thanks!

For a standard consumer projector, the same color you used for TV exhibition should be just fine. Most likely the projector will cover a portion of (maybe all of) the rec709 spec. Without knowing ahead of time any peculiarities of the projector you can't really adjust. I suspect if any sort of color adjustment were required it would be in the blacks, if the projector raises the black levels some... but the real kicker is, nobody else is likely to notice anyway.

This would really only be an issue with a cinema grade projector that requires XYZ colorspace, in my opinion.

Back