• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Aspiring Film makers in the NoVA, DC, MD Area

Hello to all... I'm new on here... joined because I'm looking to make some serious moves towards a career in film/HD Video Production. I currently have 2 feature length scripts complete (with copyright) and am exploring some solid avenues of financing and distribution.

My biggest problem is... I'm ALONE in my quest. I moved out here last year and really don't know anyone even seriously interested in creating films... (and i've even been to plenty of things at AFI and other festivals- sad)

I've completed some shorts years ago but now looking to do a few other smaller things and dive into some deeper territory. I'm looking to connect with some others in the area who are serious about being successful in the industry.

Are there any other aspiring writers? or Producers? Anyone really good with a Camera and have a good sense of composition (and what's behind a shot?~lol)

I've made the mistake of looking to the established to give me a chance.... I'm aiming to do what many of them had to do and create my own path to being established- at the end of the day I'm looking to connect with other like minded people with the talent and creativity to boot.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I've been serious about film for nearly two years, although I've only made one short so far. It will be online in another month or so. My next one is scheduled to be filmed on march 9th.

I've got some great ideas for films but I'm a bit of a slow writer and it's a whole other discipline to develop. I'll get there.. at this point I'm almost ready to stop watching so many movies and just start reading scripts instead. It's tough not being established, since nearly every facet of film making falls onto your shoulders.

I do have a couple of people that have joined me in this effort, so I suppose my team is slowly building :)

What did you do with those shorts that you've made in the past?

Hey hey....

I feel rejuvenated from getting a reply ~ lol.... seriously though, I've kept them and still have all my production work... except for one that got misplaced... I hated that one anyways... it was a definite epic fail... lol.

I have them all but because some of the actors I have worked with are now doing professional work in tv shows, web series and film, I've been asked to not post anything. My lawyer says I can post it if I'd like so long as I don't try to make money off of it ~ would infringe on their likeness n all.... so I could get sued... gotta love Media Law & Policy.

If you have things that you are working on and want to just meet, get coffee and chat and see if you like me enough to let me join in on your efforts, I'd be glad to go for it. I'm on Northern Virginia, and open to meet somewhere in the middle (wherever you are).

As far as writing and screenplays, I took classes while in college and just did a seminar last year as well... have a few books on it, but at the end of the day, just practice makes perfect. I've been writing for years and can offer some help there if you'd like it. I have experience (non professional) with writing, directing, producing, lighting, sound and editing. A little bit with make up but no where near enough to even mention it as a selling point... lol. I do art work so that lends to set design and other visual elements (i.e. storyboards etc).

My professional experience is with my current job as a multimedia consultant- I've written a few commercials for radio and I just wrote my first commercial for screen last week. (I hope they'll let me at least co-direct) So... getting somewhere... I guess... :huh:

I'm glad you're building a team. It's what I'm literally at the point of begging God for... a team of people with the same drive to succeed... which is much easier as a team than alone.

(Without spilling all the candy)- what kind of stories / genre is you're interest?

I had a big falling out with one of my actors from that first short I did. I'm going to post it anyway for free on youtube, and maybe sell an extended edition to one dude for $300. Basically just to earn back the money I spent on food and alcohol. I figure if the actor wants to take me to court and sue me whats the worst that can happen? $300? no biggie.

Plus it's good to have it online.. for my next short, the actor I got for the lead part.. his biggest concern was that the project actually get finished. I guess a lot of shorts go nowhere!

I'm located in gambrills, but why don't we talk on the phone sometime? I'm not working right now and trying not to spend any money I don't have to (i.e. gas) but it gives me more time to focus on film

The first short I did was a 5 minute dark comedy called friend zoned. Next one planned is a 2 minute Crime Thriller which i think is more up my alley.

Things that aren't in the pipeline but I've been kicking around in my head:
~20 minute crime drama and a partially developed script.
Super hero action comedy
Sci-fi thriller with some fantasy undertones.

Find a team, build up your skills together as a team. Work towards shooting a commercially viable feature that will get sold. Is it that simple? Not really, but you're definitely on the right track.

Ain't filming awesome?

I wish you the best of luck in your filmmaking. Ask lots of questions here.

Back