• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch WorldWideLaugh ShortFilm Contest Entry - Locked Out

Hey guys!
I made this video for the "World Wide Laugh" contest. The challenge was to create a video that could make anyone from anywhere in the world laugh without using any type of verbal language. It was supposed to "break the language barrier". It also had to show the triumph of achieving a goal.

Here's my video.. Any feedback or critique would be awesome!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9Qh6Su_WZM

It was shot on a Sony NEX-5 and edited in Final Cut.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,
Luke
Youtube - SleightlyPrismatic

WHY IN THE FUCK DID NO ONE TELL ME THIS WAS HAPPENING IN MY OWN BACK YARD...

http://www.filmthenext.com/2011/02/world-wide-laugh-video-contest-12000/

is this the film festival you are talking about...

if so... good luck bro...

and i liked the video... pretty decent

i just cant believe i didnt even know this was happening in my back yard...

well i just looked and this shit is happening this weekend... so i will be going tomorrow or monday to watch the videos... i will let you know if i see anything or your video... IF this is the same contest you are talking about

WHY IN THE FUCK DID NO ONE TELL ME THIS WAS HAPPENING IN MY OWN BACK YARD...

http://www.filmthenext.com/2011/02/world-wide-laugh-video-contest-12000/

is this the film festival you are talking about...

if so... good luck bro...

and i liked the video... pretty decent

i just cant believe i didnt even know this was happening in my back yard...

well i just looked and this shit is happening this weekend... so i will be going tomorrow or monday to watch the videos... i will let you know if i see anything or your video... IF this is the same contest you are talking about

Haha it was the same contest. although i found out about it through a different sources..

Anyone else have anything to say?

It reminded me of a Mel Brooks quote. "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."

Last edited:
Enjoyable-gave me a good laugh!

I think a tripod would have smoothed it out a bit, the "jerking" distracted a bit.

Also 3 or 4 "camera places" instead of various shots from various angles.

Now, having SAID that-is that what you were going for? Kind of a off-kilter type of feel?

The story itself flowed very nicely, and I never felt much "lag", it moved pretty quickly. Too bad there wasn't a way to have shown an "empty hole" by removing the grate-but that may not have been possible, and you worked well with what you had there.

Enjoyable though, and made me laugh! :lol: Well done :)

It reminded me of a Mel Brooks quote. "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."

Hahaha That's great!!

Enjoyable-gave me a good laugh!

I think a tripod would have smoothed it out a bit, the "jerking" distracted a bit.

Also 3 or 4 "camera places" instead of various shots from various angles.

Now, having SAID that-is that what you were going for? Kind of a off-kilter type of feel?

The story itself flowed very nicely, and I never felt much "lag", it moved pretty quickly. Too bad there wasn't a way to have shown an "empty hole" by removing the grate-but that may not have been possible, and you worked well with what you had there.

Enjoyable though, and made me laugh! :lol: Well done :)
Thanks for the feedback!

A tripod would have helped and i definitely be using one next time.

Well i was going for a slightly uncontrolled feel, like he had lost control of the situation. But i didn't want it to be hard to follow. So i guess i almost accomplished that.

I tried to find a way to show an empty grate but it just wasn't possible. And i thought not being able to remove the grate would ruin the ending, but i think the green screening wasn't awfully bad.

I thought it was fantastic for what it was.

I did notice the paperclip prop though when you cut from the bending take to the "lowering it in the grate" take. Not the most stringent of issues but the fact that it dangled a bit caught my attention.

I do agree with tinalera, having camera locations makes it easier for the mind to assimilate the visual information and makes it easier to follow. Nice thing about what you did though was that he never moved so it was still easy to follow.

The concept was great, your ability to work with what you had available was outstanding and I giggled a bit while watching this (which is tough to get me to do. I can appreciate the funny in comedy but it's not often I actually laugh. I think I have issues.).

Overall...great job from my perspective.

Two thumbs up for ya! Good luck and you deserve to win.

I thought it was fantastic for what it was.

I did notice the paperclip prop though when you cut from the bending take to the "lowering it in the grate" take. Not the most stringent of issues but the fact that it dangled a bit caught my attention.

I do agree with tinalera, having camera locations makes it easier for the mind to assimilate the visual information and makes it easier to follow. Nice thing about what you did though was that he never moved so it was still easy to follow.

The concept was great, your ability to work with what you had available was outstanding and I giggled a bit while watching this (which is tough to get me to do. I can appreciate the funny in comedy but it's not often I actually laugh. I think I have issues.).

Overall...great job from my perspective.

Two thumbs up for ya! Good luck and you deserve to win.

The paperclip was a bit obvious.

Thanks!, I'm glad you liked it overall :) and the fact that you giggled at part of it is even better haha!

Gonna be brutally honest -- as I was watching it, I didn't find it funny. The oh-no-I-can't-reach-my-keys bits were too obvious. But then the ending -- I laughed. Twice. So that made it worth it. Nice!

And yeah, you should get a tripod. :)

Gonna be brutally honest -- as I was watching it, I didn't find it funny. The oh-no-I-can't-reach-my-keys bits were too obvious. But then the ending -- I laughed. Twice. So that made it worth it. Nice!

And yeah, you should get a tripod. :)

Haha well im glad you liked the ending part! To be honest i wasn't happy with how the hand reaching out with the keys turned out (i should have added some camera shake after greenscreening)

Im starting to sense a common theme here. I think i'll get a tripod ;)

Thanks for the feedback!

Back