how do you get a job at a production company?

what do you do? where do you go? do you have to have a resume already with film experience? even if i just wanted to get the most basic film job how do i do it.

The best PAs are determined. Don't be afraid to call, email, or walk in. Yes, have a resume. No, it does not have to have film experience. A PA needs to be reliable and eager. Any organizational skills, efficiency skills, and your objective should be mentioned.

Getting a job at a prodCo isn’t much different than getting a job
at a restaurant. You simply apply. There turn over isn’t as high
as a restaurant and the competition is much stiffer so it’s a lot
more difficult than a “regular” job.

Some jobs require a resume and some experience. Some jobs are
entry level. If you want the most basic film job you need to know
what that job is. You can’t really walk into an employer and say,
“I want the most basic film job.”, you really need to know what
the company is hiring for.

A prodCo can need someone to answer phones. A prodCo can need
someone to do data input. A prodCo can need someone to proofread
contracts. A prodCo can need someone to run errands. Larger ones
have several employees. Small ones my have a secretary and an
unpaid intern or two. You will have a leg up if you learn about
all the prodCo you apply to before you apply.

How many production companies are in your area? What do they do?

I would say look for an established ProdCo that is low budget. They are always looking for willing workers. It's a great foot in the door and could lead to bigger things.

I have worked with several production companies and I am on my second where I am a full time paid employee and I would just have to say that I have yet to see any production company anywhere hire a PA for pay. Everywhere I have been, worked with, and heard of takes PA's as interns only, simply for the fact that competition is so stiff. Think about it, why would you pay someone an hourly rate if you can just get a college student who is just as eager to do those things for free? It doesn't make sense. Maybe things are different around the world but in my neck of the woods that is the reality.

Now that being said there are ways to get into a production company. You have to have experience. This isn't hard to get either. Look at your local film guide for Gaffers if you want to light, Camera operators if that is you bag, or anything else that you would like to do. Pick a concentration, and then start e-mailing as many people as possible and ask if you can apprentice them for free. Ask if you can do it in your spare time to get some experience. Be warned that their are people who will take advantage of you so you have to be careful. Start putting yourself out there more, make connections, if people call you up and ask you to work and your confident that you can do the job then ask what the going rate is.

Once your skill is up start looking for that production company that is looking to fill a position in whatever you choose to study. Then apply. This is the only way I know of getting hired at a production company as an employee. Perhaps somebody else has different tips. Good luck and let us know what happens.

good tips thanks. and to whoever asked ( i forgot) i live in ohio and i dont know of many production companies or studios except for one that just opened in cleveland, Nehst. how would i look up studios and stuff in ohio or anywhere?

Sonnyboo lives in Ohio and works for a local video company. Why don't you PM him and see if they accept resumes.

good tips thanks. and to whoever asked ( i forgot) i live in ohio and i dont know of many production companies or studios except for one that just opened in cleveland, Nehst. how would i look up studios and stuff in ohio or anywhere?

Nehst isn't really a studio and they aren't hiring since they are a scam.

Sonnyboo lives in Ohio and works for a local video company. Why don't you PM him and see if they accept resumes.

I work for Production Partners Media in Columbus, but we're not really hiring right now. We occasionally hire freelancers, etc. and that's always a good way in.

In Central Ohio there are over 20 mid sized and large production companies that hire freelancers and full time employees. The yellow pages are a great place to start. just send in resumes and follow up with an email or phone call.

I would say look for an established ProdCo that is low budget. They are always looking for willing workers. It's a great foot in the door and could lead to bigger things.

That's the answer that makes the most sense to me. It's certainly close to approach that I'd like to try for myself. I want that obvious experience that should go with trying for something substantial, and that strikes me as the best way to go about it, even if you get a job buying coffee for the homeless drunk that won't leave the director alone. It's the same thing as being a writer. Every little bit counts. Every little magazine or job is one step closer to the kind of thing you've been after from the start.

It's just a question of finding something, and that's where I've run into some difficulties, personally.

Back