• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch YOU ARE ALONE music video - ADULT CONTENT

Greetings...since you liked the trailer I posted a while back, here's a sneak peek at a music video I did for a song from YOU ARE ALONE. Not a typical music video, but more of a long trailer with great music. (The band needed a video, I used mainly outtakes and alt. takes from the film to provide them with one.)

Would love comments.

It's a big download even streaming, so I suggest letting it stream completely, with sound off (go grab a beer)...then playing it once it's in your cache.

Here's the link:

http://www.whatwerewethinkingfilms.com/you_are_alone/videos/yaa_cars_history_video.html

Let me start by saying I was hooked after the first trailer. The music so perfectly matched the mood of the visuals that I knew that this was a film that would appeal to my more dark side. I have no idea what the story is about and yet I am very interested in seeing this film.

The music in the video has the same perfect pairing of music and visual that I found appealing in the trailer. If these songs you have given us are any indication of the kind of music that will be through out the film I can say that the music alone would be worth the experience.

The video also did a better job of hinting at what the story might be with out giving it all away. There is nothing worse than a trailor that gives away so much of the story that I don't feel it neccesary to actually see the film. Your video has me guessing but I wouldn't be at all suprised if every guess I could come up with was way off. So yeah, I am still interested in seeing your film.

My only complaint, and this is a big complaint, is that I found all of the writing scrolling this way and that way, fading in and out, to be VERY distracting. I spent more time trying to read that I really couldn't focus on the visuals or the music. I would love to see a version of this video with all that writing either completely elimitated or at the very least dramatically reduced.

Hope this helps.

Mikey D

Mikey,

First off thanks for the kind words. I'm especially proud of the music in YOU ARE ALONE. I really took my time with every track.

Now, as for your complaint...this was actually my intent. That you'd almost have to watch the video 3 times, once for the text, once for the images, once for the song. The slpit-screen section when her panties are removed might even add a 4th time to that, as though they look similar, they're different takes, and her reaction at the end of each is quite different. So I very specifically made it so you'd have to concentrate on one over the other, then (hopefully) want to come back for another go-around.

I actually found that without the text, the visuals became a little drawn out in places, as I use many very long takes.

But that said, thanks again for the comments. Hopefully it'll be coming eventually to a film fest near you. (Any good fests in your area?)

Gorman

I have a t1 connection and it took a long time to even see 10 seconds on the video. I would love to see it so I will let it download but you should put it in a Quicktime format, works much better than Flash. :yes:

Christopher said:
I have a t1 connection and it took a long time to even see 10 seconds on the video. I would love to see it so I will let it download but you should put it in a Quicktime format, works much better than Flash. :yes:

Interesting...it took me about 3 minutes for the entire thing up download, then play perfectly.

This is a huge file in the new FLASH...honestly we could put it in Quicktime, but it would be a fraction of the size and quality. I'm actually VERY impressed with both, and how Flash got it to play so quickly.

Because of the text over the picture, and how dark some of it is, it doesn't work on low quality. Just looks crappy.

We had tested smaller version...it was pointless to put them up. The four-way sex scene with the text was lost.

Then this new version of Flash allowed us to stream something this size.

I'm surprised though it took that long...

Sorry!

The video quality is good and I like the flow of the edit. But is the music suppose to be over modulated and hissy? If so then I don't care for the music. Just personal taste.

Nice! I liked the use of text. Sex is always good! Nice job on the overlaying of images! The track was not my taste but the video fit it perfectly. Even though I liked the text it started to distract me after awhile. Great Job! :yes:

Thunderclap said:
The video quality is good and I like the flow of the edit. But is the music suppose to be over modulated and hissy? If so then I don't care for the music. Just personal taste.

Yeah, the recording was definitely lo-fi...but that's my tastes. Personal preferences. I actually used a demo version of the theme song, instead of the mastered completed one. Punk at heart, y'know!

And thanks, Christopher!

YouAreAloneMOVIE said:
Mikey,

...this was actually my intent. That you'd almost have to watch the video 3 times, once for the text, once for the images, once for the song.
Gorman

Gorman,

Brilliant. Great technique to get that repeat viewing. (I thought that might have been your intention as I went back to re-watch...;)) It looks like a lesson straight from the Peter Greenaway school of over-visual-stimulation. I also think the scrolling/fading text works on another more symbolic level -- by creating a sense of confusion about the scene. The text effects are more prominent during scenes where the subject matter is more sexual, but less or non-existent in scenes where your lead character appears in a more innocent situation. If I had to guess, I would bet that this character has some confusion about sexuality, and the distracting text reinforces that rather well.

The song was very well done. I noticed the lo-fi distortion in the drum track at the beginning of the song, but I soon figured it was intentional--and midway through the mix I didn't even notice it. It did add an interesting touch to the song by creating a disturbing under-layer to an otherwise peaceful sounding song. Again, even if it wasn't intentional, the symbolism works.

The cinemaphotography, directing, and acting performances all appear to be top notch. The only aspect of the video I didn't care for was the large question marks floating on the screen during the end (bathroom) sequence. They seemed unnecessary and a little cheesy. The text did an adequate job of posing the questions subtly. The large question marks made me think of the Riddler. They just felt out of place. Regardless of that, I thought it was excellent!

John

Wow! I'll take that review. Thank you.

I tried to do that a lot in the film, taking what should be a very hot sexual scene and covering with very disturbing depressing music. Or lighter music over a disturbing scene. Hoping that it would clue in viewers that all is not what it seems.

The Riddler comment at the end made me laugh, I can so see where you're coming from. I think it was just the writer in me, finally needing some punctuation!!!

YouAreAloneMOVIE said:
I think it was just the writer in me, finally needing some punctuation!!!

Puctuation means closure. Perhaps the questions (and statements) are best left open-ended...dangling, if you will?

Anyway, I'm glad you appreciated my comments. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

I thought it was beautiful. No complaints.

I can appreciate what people were saying about the text. In my opinion, a lot of those questions were obvious with her facial expressions and the quick cuts of her family and "friends."

Hey man I thought this was really great work. Its nice to see someone from around where I grew up witih a lot of talent.
I grew up in Greenwich man.

Anyways I think this is wonderful, although I agree you should put it into quicktime.

If you are having trouble figuring out how to export to quicktime. You first have to save the flash file as a Flash 5 file. Then you can publish it as a .mov

Otherwise you will get the Handler error (assuming of course you are using MX and couldnt figure out how to export the .mov).

Keep up the good work!!!

I really liked the song. I think the mood it creates is really good for the images. It looks like a fantastic movie! I remember seeing the trailer a while ago, and it's definitely an interest perker. I wish you much success! Coming "north" to Toronto anytime?

What Text??

I actually watched this and ignored the text from the time of the overhead shot.
The text didn't bother me, but the video already gave me the guts of what the text displayed. Maybe if it were in handwritig as though from her diary, it may have played a better role than an obvious visual device.

It didn't need it. The video is bold, touching, provocative and mysterious. I trust the movie carries the same weight and urgency.

I loved the use of the rubber bands to cover her suicide attempt

Now that I read through all the replies (after falling in love with the song especially)

I do not understand why you used the lo fi version, that shit pops my speakers if I turn it up too loud

haha

all I have is modulated hissing, unless you're going for an industrial thing and I just missed it...about 2 minutes of hissing and I quit watching. Sorry, it hurt my ears...I don't think it compressed well. Pix look nice though.

Blended

I found the pacing and flow to really balance each other. The words did get a bit overbearing for me, especially the subject is so deep, but then again you were going for the confusion and getting in your head. It really does warrant watching multiple times. I look forward to the next one
:)

Back