• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch "Rose Parade" an Elliott Smith Tribute Video

I just finished shooting this music video two months ago, and it premiered the other week here in Atlanta. I shot it along with some interview footage of fans. Both are for the "Future Butterflies" project (an international fan documentary being shot by fans all over the world and edited by junkbondtrader.net in LA).

Anyway, my friend streamed the video with RealPlayer, so I thought I'd share it with you guys. ;)

http://switchboard.real.com/player/...//www.kissatlanta.com/mt/video/roseparade.mp4

Last edited:
Lovely opening -- sound and lighter synch is excellent. cigarette highlight adds a nice touch of tension. you've got good talent in actors. lead femme excellent choice: her pale skin, black hair and wardrobe contrast with the reds -- very cool.

videography is wonderful.
The music (for my tastes) is soft and repetitive. but that's me -> i prefer a woman's voice.

honestly, though, were it not for the excellent film/camera work combined with a good talent in the actors, i would have turned this one off because of the repitition in a bland voice.

I liked the fast cuts, visually kept my interest. The guy at the end sweeping seemed to be "acting", that's the best way I can put it. It's the closing image and weakend the overall impact for me.

I wasn't too keen on the actual song, at all.

That's wonderful footage and editing, though. :cool:

That sudden smile she gives at 4:08 is priceless.

Was some of this shot on Super-8? There are frame edges at 4:35 that blend out later, and some of the other footage looks like it.

Nice showing by the 501st :)

Wow, I'm glad you guys enjoyed it!

I did all the editing/sound editing myself, so I appreciate David's compliments on the lighter sync.

Ah yes, the lead. Morgan's that rare breed of actress descending from modeling fame that predisposes her for patience. We had her encased in a glass tomb practically for that opening medium shot (a replication of Elliott Smith's "Xo" cover pictured here --- http://www.muzieklijstjes.nl/Tips/SmithEXO.jpg) and she stayed there for the entire hour it took us to set up.

Yeah, the Janitor was a last-minute stand in for the actor whose car broke down on the way to the location.

ZenSteve: The vignetting at 4:35 was actually from our 16mm Ariflex camera---but the footage all the footage between the cemetary and the traintracks shot (at the bridge of the song) were shot on my super8 with the now discontinued Kodachrome 40 filmstock, which you'll probably be able to tell by the bright colours. There's also a POV shot of bike handlebars earlier in the film that I pulled from out Super 8 footage.

Elliott Smith's music isn't for everybody. I'm glad you guys enjoyed the visuals enough to listen it through, however. This was sorta my tribute to him---I incorporated motifs from his life and visual symbols from his albums throughout. Lyrically, his ideas were universal and his emotions a bit Shakesperian (not unlike his suicide), so if those left a strong imprint on you, I am gladdened and encouraged. :)

Back