Can't import into Davinci Resolve Lite

I just started with Davinci Resolve and Im with windows 8 . I wasn't sure that it supports it but it seems it does .

Well I can't seem to import clips to start the color grading and I'm not sure if it is cuz I don't know how and I'm newbie or because im with Windows 8 ..

Can somebody explain me how to import inside DavinCi ?

Davinci is very specific as to which formats and codecs it supports.

For Windows, this is the list:

DPX
Cineon
Tiff
OpenEXR
CinemaDNG
Alexa Arri
Canon EOS C300
Phantom cine
RED r3d
Mpeg 4 Video mov
H.264
Uncomp RGB QT mov RGB 8 Bit
mov BGRA 8 Bit
mov ARGB 8 Bit
mov RGB 10 Bit
Uncomp YUV QT mov UYVY 8 Bit
mov UYVY 10 Bit
Uncomp YUV MXF mxf UYVY 8 Bit
Uncomp YUV MXF mxf UYVY 10 Bit
Uncomp RGB MXF mxf 1080i & 1080p 10 Bit
Apple ProRes 4444 mov
Apple ProRes 422 mov Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)
mov Apple ProRes 422
mov Apple ProRes 422 (LT )
mov Apple ProRes 422 (Proxy)
DNxHD mxf

To properly import you need to first setup your media folder. Only folders that are picked as media folders will allow you to import your footage. Davnici resolve still has a couple of issues when importing specific codecs for some reason.

I advise you to work with XMLs or EDLs that will be properly linked to supported formats. Getting into Davinci takes some learning, it's not as simple as drag & drop. If you want, I can send you some great video tutorials that will get you right in the game.

I just started with Davinci Resolve and Im with windows 8 . I wasn't sure that it supports it but it seems it does .

Just as a word of warning, the program opening on Windows 8 doesn't necessarily mean it's supported - you may (or may not!) run into problems further down the line.

Well there are no messages at all , I tryed just directly putting the footage into the software and just nothing happens .

What NLE are you using - Premiere, Final Cut, Avid…? You will need to export an edit list from your finished sequence (probably an XML file) and import it into Resolve before you can start. Resolve is a grading and finishing tool, not an editor.

I think you need to select a higher level directory as your media folder.

C:\ won't work if your video files are in C:\media\videos

Select "Davinici Resolve" (top left corner), then 'preferences' then 'media storage'

Choose a higher directory, such as c:\media\ and now you can access videos inside that folder

I think you need to select a higher level directory as your media folder.

C:\ won't work if your video files are in C:\media\videos

Select "Davinici Resolve" (top left corner), then 'preferences' then 'media storage'

Choose a higher directory, such as c:\media\ and now you can access videos inside that folder

Thanks but I fixed my problem long time ago :)

Hello there .

Unfortunately I am not using Da Vinci Resolve . I have a small lap top which I use to grade my shots simply because I don't have any other computer and using Resolve to grade on this monitor is nearly impossible and won't give you any accurate results .

I am sticking to After Effects and Magic Bullet Looks for now .

Good luck and sorry I couldn't help !

Importing Files on Davinci Resolve

Davinci is very specific as to which formats and codecs it supports.

For Windows, this is the list:

DPX
Cineon
Tiff
OpenEXR
CinemaDNG
Alexa Arri
Canon EOS C300
Phantom cine
RED r3d
Mpeg 4 Video mov
H.264
Uncomp RGB QT mov RGB 8 Bit
mov BGRA 8 Bit
mov ARGB 8 Bit
mov RGB 10 Bit
Uncomp YUV QT mov UYVY 8 Bit
mov UYVY 10 Bit
Uncomp YUV MXF mxf UYVY 8 Bit
Uncomp YUV MXF mxf UYVY 10 Bit
Uncomp RGB MXF mxf 1080i & 1080p 10 Bit
Apple ProRes 4444 mov
Apple ProRes 422 mov Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)
mov Apple ProRes 422
mov Apple ProRes 422 (LT )
mov Apple ProRes 422 (Proxy)
DNxHD mxf

To properly import you need to first setup your media folder. Only folders that are picked as media folders will allow you to import your footage. Davnici resolve still has a couple of issues when importing specific codecs for some reason.

I advise you to work with XMLs or EDLs that will be properly linked to supported formats. Getting into Davinci takes some learning, it's not as simple as drag & drop. If you want, I can send you some great video tutorials that will get you right in the game.

I will appreciate if you can share the videos with me so i can get right in the game. I have a complete davinci resolve here in the studio growing dust and i need to knock the dust off with some great works.

I was mucking around with resolve. The way I did it is, I exported my premiere edit into a finalcutxml file. Then imported the xml file into resolve. Everything was beautiful after that.

Back