Best way to time lapse with Canon T3i

On the t3i you'll be doing a timelapse with stills. You're going to need to buy an intervalometer. You can get a cheap one for about 30-50 dollars compatible with the Canon brand.

Using the intervalometer, you tell your camera to take a picture every X seconds. The settings for that picture should already be fed into your camera in the manual mode.

If you are going to use 24fps as your frame rate then you need to take the number of pictures for the amount of seconds you want ur video to be. Between the ISO and the shutter speed and the aperture and the interval, timelapse becomes an art in handling those aspects to get the kind of motion and image quality u want.

Once you have the pictures, you batch process them in photoshop or use AE or whichever program you like. Then you conform those stills in your video editing program as a video, add your sound and export.

But you're settings are going to depend on how you want your motion to be, depending on ur subject, while retaining image quality.

Last edited:
exposure seems to be a bigger issue... if you set it to manual then things like sunsets etc will either be underexposed as the sun goes down, or blown completely if you try to set it for the low light at the sun down... automatic exposure mode is good for dealing with this, but then you get flickers and breathing effects..

No help

I was hoping for some tips, such as:

Use the TV setting, f3.2, manual focus on the foreground, how to remove grain, etc......

does anybody have any advice like that?

If you shoot RAW you can render out a set of images at a higher exposure then some darker and dissolve between them to help with sunsets and what not.

Not sure about the t3i, but the higher end cameras for sure can shoot bracketed as well where you'll get several images taken almost simultaneously with different settings.

But for basic settings: go manual. Set the Aperture at an appropriate level (no idea when, where, what time of day, if you're in the shade, etc). Set a high shutter speed if you want no motion blue or a low shutter speed if you do want motion blur. Shoot at a low ISO and you shouldn't have to remove grain or noise.

Shooting RAW

When I tried that, I get all the grainy distortion in my images. The guy at DakotaLapse.com makes some very nice videos, but I notice his photos are crystal clear, and dont have the RED and GREEN pixel discolorations that MY photos do.

What am I doing wrong?

Sometime My photos come out super-bright, and super-PINK colored., but mostly Grainy and Distorted.

Photo 1 on A-DEP mode.
img9971q.jpg

Photo 2 on M mode.
img9972di.jpg

Photo 3 on AV mode.
img9973m.jpg

These arent Stars, theyre distortion/grain.
How do I adjust this? I've asked the guy at DakotaLapse, and he wasnt any help.

Last edited:
Sounds like a white balance issue. Do you know how to alter white balance on your camera, or how to edit the white balance of a RAW photograph?

Bright probably means your exposure is too long or ISO is too high... Or a mix of both.

EDIT: sorry I made two comments, the second was made after you added the photos into your own comment

Last edited:
Back