Casting Call: Student Film in Athens, OH
We are filming a short film for a thesis project at the OU School of Film and are looking for talented actors and actresses.
WHEN RESPONDING TO AD, PLEASE STATE WHAT ROLE OR ROLES YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE CONSIDERED FOR.
1. CHARLES WYNDHURST (male, 45-60), a newspaper reporter. Charles is a middle aged man who has seen better days. He wears a well-manicured beard and older suits that have strayed out of fashion but that he hopes will pass on the strength of being adequately business-like. His shoulders are slumped. He is tired and frustrated by where his stalled career has led him. He is too angrily optimistic to think of himself as a has-been and too proud to let anyone call him a never-was.
2. PHIL (male, 45-65), the former sports editor and Charles’ office mate. Phil is a little older than Charles but has lived twice as hard. He looks downright exhausted. Phil is a raging alcoholic who has checked out and is cruising towards his early retirement option. He enjoys mocking Chares’ hard work and dedication. He is Charles’ closest friend in the office.
3. JEFF (male, 30-40), Charles’ editor. Jeff is younger than Charles or Phil. He still considers himself too young to be called “middle-aged” though he is unquestionably close. Jeff is sensible but pessimistic. He is a well-groomed go-getter. Jeff considers his editorial position as a low rung on the ladder of his rising career. Jeff is married and has had several affairs.
4. AMY (female, 20-30), Jeff’s secretary. Amy is a well-meaning secretary who pities Charles while simultaneously being generally uninterested by his old timer stories to the point of annoyance. She is the most beautiful girl in the office, which isn’t saying much, but still it’s something, and she knows it. She is sporadically involved with her boss, Jeff, but to call it an affair would be too flattering.
5. FLORENCE (female, 58 - ?), the operator of the West Sussex Flower Show. She is a sweet but melancholy older woman. Her husband of several decades has recently passed, and this is the first year she has tried to manage the flower show without him.
6. HAZEL (female, 60 - ?), Florence’s sister and co-manager of the West Sussex Flower Show. Hazel is a wheelchair-ridden but very well intending older woman. She gives her participation in trying to run the flower show with her sister her best effort but with sadly questionable results.
7. AGNES WYNDHURST (female, 65 - ?), Charles’ mother. Agnes is on what would be her death bed, but the fact that she has been there for nearly a decade defeats that description. Agnes wears slippers and a bathrobe. She is also losing her memory, but not unpleasantly. She enthusiastically proofreads Charles’ newspaper articles, a ritual they have retained since his youth. She is excited about grilled cheese and moves in elderly slow-motion.
8. GLENN PINE (male, 35 - 65), a local television News Caster. Glenn is a clean cut American. He Is middle-aged, and he speaks with perfect anchorman American English.
9. CLERK (male, 20 – 30), a clerk.
This project will be shot on 16mm color film, with principal photography to be done over the period of two three day weekends.
November 13, 14, 15 and
November 20, 21, and 22.
Location: University of Ohio, Athens, OH
If interested, please email headlines.fta.film at gmail dot com with a headshot, experience, and what role or roles you are interested in.
* Location: Athens, OH
* Compensation: travel, meals on set.