Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > IndieTalk > The Lounge

Old 08-22-2017, 11:16 PM   #16
buscando
Basic Member

Nice, I think Universal was planning to reboot that & all their monsters starting with Tom Cruise's Mummy. Although if you did it cheaply today, would audiences buy it?
buscando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 09-26-2017, 01:26 AM   #17
buscando
Basic Member

Robert Rodriguez Film School

Robert Rodriguez has one of the most interesting success stories of a self-taught outsider breaking into Hollywood. He was one of the first people who showed me that you could make a film with very little money.
Here's a summary of his story from TCM.com. http://www.tcm.com/this-month/articl...-Mariachi.html

His book, "Rebel Without a Crew: Or How a 23-Year-Old Filmmaker with $7,000 Became a Hollywood Player," has great information. It gives a detailed account of how he made El Mariachi, his first feature in 1992. The equipment he used is outdated, but his smart, positive attitude & cost cutting methods will always be relevant. He tells people to be technical as well as creative, which means you should have the practical knowledge of how to use all the tools of filmmaking. If you can be technical as well as artistic, you'll be unstoppable.

He's also notable in his eagerness to share his techniques by making special Film School segments in his films' Special Features. I think he has them for all his films. He's very encouraging to everyone that wants to become filmmakers.

Thanks to Zenamerican for reminding me about this many weeks ago.
He posted the 10 Minute Film School from El Mariachi. So here are a couple more.
As always, I welcome your comments on any of these posts as well as your own inspirations & recommendations.
Desperado - 10 Minute Film School

Sin City - 15 Minute Flic School

Last edited by buscando; 09-26-2017 at 01:37 AM.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:10 PM   #18
buscando
Basic Member

In The Mood For Love (2000)

This didn't impress me much when I saw it in the 2000s, it's very slow. I don't know what made me rewatch it a few months ago but now I keep thinking about it. It's a deceptively simple movie, but so well made. The shots, the music, the characters' subtle gestures which can speak volumes, all combine to make it hypnotic. I guess this time I fell in love with Maggie Cheung in those dresses, so that's probably a big reason why I like it.

Director Wong Kar Wai has other well known artistic films, I recently checked out Happy Together (1997), The Grandmaster (2013), both pretty good, & I want to rewatch Chung King Express (1994). But for now this remains his best.

Wong had a rough outline of In The Mood's story, but no real script, so he asked Tony Leung & Maggie Cheung to improvise the scenes & their dialog. Wong likes to work this way, he says he gets too bored just sitting down alone & writing a full script.

Maggie was frustrated by not having a script, & was always asking Wong what she's supposed to do & he didn't have an answer. She would always ask Tony & he said, he doesn't know what to do for his part either. Tony would tell her to relax, just go with it, try to improvise & see what happens. He was more used to this because he had already worked with Wong a few times before. Adding to her frustration, whenever Wong got new ideas, he kept going back to reshoot scenes they had already done, & there was no plan on when they would finish.

My favorite part in the extras is an interview with Maggie Cheung. During the shoot which eventually turned out to be 15 mos, she was worried about not being able to take other jobs to make enough money for her expenses. But when the film came out, she realized she had been given a great chance to be such a big part of the film's creation. Wong got ideas & inspiration from what they improvised, so they were actually creating & rewriting the story together as they went. She sees this film as the high point of her career, & within a few years had almost retired completely. She realized money is just money, but a film like this can last forever, long after you're gone.

One of its best scenes, no spoilers.
The Criterion edition has great special features.

Last edited by buscando; 12-05-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:59 PM   #19
John_Whitehead
Basic Member

QuickTime Player Something Inspiration for #MondayMotivation

Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty new to this so please tell me If I'm posting incorrectly.

I'm a filmmaker and movie enthusiast based in Yorkshire, UK. I've recently started a new job for Film Daily where my main task for today has been researching female directors. As you can imagine I came across a lot of inspirational videos and blogs along my journey but the one that put a smile on my face has to be this Rumba video by filmmaker duo Fiona Gordon & Dominique Abel.

It just goes to show all you need is a friend, a camera, and a bit of music to make something brilliant.

Enjoy!

Last edited by John_Whitehead; 12-04-2017 at 01:35 PM.
John_Whitehead is offline   Reply With Quote