Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > The Biz > Hollywood

Old 10-12-2017, 04:38 AM   #16
WalterB
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscando View Post
Maybe people empathize more with celebs because it Seems like they know them, as opposed to non-celebs that they have no connection with.
Plus: arrived celebs can't be blamed for seeking the spot light for a quick buck on selling their story.
They already have the fame and the money.

Just look how such allegations are often framed. If they are not met with victim blaming, they try to smear the credibility of the messenger.
WalterB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 10-12-2017, 02:20 PM   #17
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterB View Post
Plus: arrived celebs can't be blamed for seeking the spot light for a quick buck on selling their story.
They already have the fame and the money.

Just look how such allegations are often framed. If they are not met with victim blaming, they try to smear the credibility of the messenger.
Yeah i think this is what it comes down to for the celebs having more trustworthiness.

There's an established business practice here.. accuse harvey, get $100,000
He has been paying these women off for three decades!!

At that point it gets easier to believe that someone would accuse him just for the money.
But no one would believe that about a famous millionaire.. they have nothing to gain and something to lose.
sfoster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:02 AM   #18
PaulWrightyThen
Basic Member

I for one am glad that awful piece of crap has been brought to book. I can't even imagine to think of a time where behaving in such away could ever be deemed appropriate? Did everyone see Jennifer Lawrence recalling a time where she was asked to line up naked with other girls and the Director branded here 'F***able'? I then see in the comments section of said article a guy say 'He was complimenting her on her body, just not in a PC way' and I just thought... what is the matter with this guy? Why is she in a nude lineup anyway? Its like lining up hunks of meat and picking a stake. Gross gross gross.
PaulWrightyThen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:55 AM   #19
WalterB
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulWrightyThen View Post
I for one am glad that awful piece of crap has been brought to book. I can't even imagine to think of a time where behaving in such away could ever be deemed appropriate? Did everyone see Jennifer Lawrence recalling a time where she was asked to line up naked with other girls and the Director branded here 'F***able'? I then see in the comments section of said article a guy say 'He was complimenting her on her body, just not in a PC way' and I just thought... what is the matter with this guy? Why is she in a nude lineup anyway? Its like lining up hunks of meat and picking a stake. Gross gross gross.
Didn't hear that story, but yeah, that is gross and humilliating.
I went to art school and I worked with nude models: both male and female. They are all human beings, who deserve respect. Everyone should be treated with respect: with or without clothes.
And demanding a naked lineup: that is just plain wrong, even without such a comment.
Asking for one for whatever legit reason (trying to think of one) and then saying something like that: it is violating trust while the other person is as vulnerable as one can be. (Plus that it is pure sexual intimidation)

Being "Anti-PC" is overly abused to insult, harass and incite, imo, and used as a cover to 'say what a person wants'.

The only good from this scandal might be that people no longer accept this and will hopefully no longer look the other way when it happens to someone else.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:36 AM   #20
PaulWrightyThen
Basic Member

Quote:

Being "Anti-PC" is overly abused to insult, harass and incite, imo, and used as a cover to 'say what a person wants'.

Whatever happened to 'Chat s**t, get banged?'
PaulWrightyThen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:12 AM   #21
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

figured it was just a matter of time until something about kevin spacey came up
he gets off pretty easy with this story though

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.3598031
Old 10-31-2017, 06:10 PM   #22
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Apparently there are some consequences for kevin spacey with house of cards filming suspended.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/31/netf...efinitely.html
Old 11-01-2017, 02:39 PM   #23
peacemaker
Basic Member

One caught. Hundred remains. He belongs in jail.

When Weinstein invited actresses to "the meetings", some rejected his advances. Those who rejected his advances knows that he will try to demolish their career. But still they took their chances, believing in themselves and their talent. But there were few who pursued him, of course to their dislike, to advance their careers. A shortcut to success. They were also slightly at fault, right? I am not trying to mitigate Weinstein's actions even by .1%. As I said, he belongs in jail. Now these famous actresses are coming out against him as if he is at 100% fault. These actresses also kind of used him to advance their careers, in a way fame and money. If the actresses haven't obliged to him (he couldn't have forced everyone), the opportunity they got, at least some might have gone to actresses based on merit and talent.

If he is doing this for more than 25 years, for sure the industry people would have known this at some point. But they were just spectators till the allegations came up.

I just graduated and started working small jobs here and there. I don't have that much industry knowledge or experience like many members here. I might be wrong but what I mentioned above is how I felt after reading the news.
peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:11 PM   #24
WalterB
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacemaker View Post
One caught. Hundred remains. He belongs in jail.

When Weinstein invited actresses to "the meetings", some rejected his advances. Those who rejected his advances knows that he will try to demolish their career. But still they took their chances, believing in themselves and their talent. But there were few who pursued him, of course to their dislike, to advance their careers. A shortcut to success. They were also slightly at fault, right? I am not trying to mitigate Weinstein's actions even by .1%. As I said, he belongs in jail. Now these famous actresses are coming out against him as if he is at 100% fault. These actresses also kind of used him to advance their careers, in a way fame and money. If the actresses haven't obliged to him (he couldn't have forced everyone), the opportunity they got, at least some might have gone to actresses based on merit and talent.

If he is doing this for more than 25 years, for sure the industry people would have known this at some point. But they were just spectators till the allegations came up.

I just graduated and started working small jobs here and there. I don't have that much industry knowledge or experience like many members here. I might be wrong but what I mentioned above is how I felt after reading the news.
No.
It is 100% his fault. No negotiating here.
Someone saying 'no' would very likely get ruined and the total imbalance in power doesn't make it a simple yes or no question as if you are deciding what kind of cheese you want to buy.
Those women where ambushed while hoping to get a part in a major film.

His power was one of the reasons people kept quiet. He could make someone an outcast.
Another reason is the misogyny that hides in victim blaming: "she probably wore a short skirt, she probably asked for it, a girl shouldn't walk outside alone, she should just have said no, blabla" all ignore the criminal, but blame the victim for the crime. Lots of women standing up and speaking up get piles of shit thrown at them.
Women don't ask to be preyed on by predators and yet a lot of people use that primitive logic that has been keeping women living under obvious or subtle submission, so they can't live safely and free as (most) males can.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:39 PM   #25
mlesemann
IndieTalk Moderator

What WalterB said - 100%.
mlesemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:58 PM   #26
jax_rox
IndieTalk Moderator

Quote:
Another reason is the misogyny that hides in victim blaming: "she probably wore a short skirt, she probably asked for it, a girl shouldn't walk outside alone, she should just have said no, blabla" all ignore the criminal, but blame the victim for the crime. Lots of women standing up and speaking up get piles of shit thrown at them.
Exactly. One of these victim blaming, misogynistic attitudes is 'she did it to advance her career'/'slept her way to the top'/other similar sentiments.

Unconscious sexism is extremely prevalent in our society, and it's become so normalised that often we don't even realise we're doing it. We must ensure we call out misogynistic attitudes in others and more importantly learn to recognise when we're doing it ourselves if we have any chance of eradicating these detrimental atttitudes from our society.

The Hollywood sexual harassment scandal has been harrowing. I'm glad people are feeling emboldened to speak out and I sincerely hope that the attitudes, particularly of those in high power positions (not just Hollywood) genuinely change.
jax_rox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:47 PM   #27
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Well here are some of the local rumors I mentioned coming to light about kevin spacey
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/ho...cid=spartanntp

So many accusations now that people are calling it a witch hunt.
Jeremy Piven. Dustin Hoffman.

Now is not the time to hire a male movie star to be the face of your brand.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:59 AM   #28
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

Well it's been a month now! Crazy month for Hollywood.

I think a lot of good has come from this, but the national enquirer article pisses me off.
https://www.nationalenquirer.com/tru...m-rape-claims/

Some dude that was not even involved in the incident is throwing claims around and whats worse is that the story gained traction and once sheen responded it became legitimate "news" to report his response.

This is one story I don't believe. And from a magazine that brought us bat boy and other such world wonders it's a shame that such fake news distracts from the real issues. Journalists should have a little bit of integrity.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:29 PM   #29
buscando
Basic Member

Outing of sexual harassers is amazing right now. I saw an article that listed like 30 people in corporations being removed/suspended.
Matt Lauer's co-worker from Sochi Olympics showed such strong evidence, he was gone the next morning.
Gal Gadot refuses to work on WW2 because 1&2's exec prod Brett Ratner has allegations.
I read Kevin Spacey got messed up as a kid cuz his dad, a Nazi supporter, molested his younger brother. Kevin became an actor to be someone else & escape his reality.
buscando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:41 PM   #30
sfoster
IndieTalk Moderator

I'm satisfied with how it's all gone down.

I think there have been a few innocent people accused like Jeremy Piven, but I haven't heard about any of the innoncents facing consequences. That's great!! So far I think Jeremy is also the only person to volunteer a lie detector test.

One thing is for sure - and this is the most important - the message is loud and clear.
People will absolutely be thinking twice before trying something like this again.