Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Filmmaking Misc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2017, 09:10 PM   #1
n00bman
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5
What is my crew position called?

I am working on an independent film production with about 20 people "behind camera".
When coming to constructing the credits roll and submiting the movie info to IMDB, I realised I have no idea what my position is called.
Maybe you here can help?

What I did:

I participated on the shooting days with things like putting up tracking markers and green screens. I also suggested some "we fix it in post methodology" than that of rearranging the already tight schedule.

In the computer:

Fixing some continunity errors (eg. fixing a door that was supposed to be shut). Removing visible boom mic etc.

Compositing two green screen shots.

Adding some mounts to a sign that only were taped up. As we didnt want to drill.

Replacing or removing some in movie time era mismatching stuff like door knobs and power outlets.


I looked at the term "visual effects supervisor" but that felt like pushing it. What do you think? Excuse my bad english.
n00bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member
 
Posts: 17

 
Old 09-21-2017, 10:19 PM   #2
Sweetie
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 4,329
Agreed, pushing it.

Sounds like part of the Compositor team and a PA.
Sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:13 PM   #3
n00bman
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
Agreed, pushing it.

Sounds like part of the Compositor team and a PA.
Okey. Worth mentioning is that I am the only one working on VFX in the film crew. Not sure if this is called VFX though.

In these independent productions our roles are very varied
It makes it more difficult to construct a good looking credits roll.
Writing stuff like this seems pretty ugly even if its true in this case.

Alan Smithee - Director / Writer / Composer
John Doe - Director of Photography / A Camera Operator / Editor
John Smith - Focus Puller / Gaffer / Colourist / Editing Assistant
n00bman - Compositor / Best Boy Grip / Production Assistant
n00bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:45 PM   #4
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder
 
indietalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,149
Clear title with Producer. Done.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:41 AM   #5
Sweetie
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 4,329
My advice, focus on the credits you are trying to build up. The credits that could lead to the work you want to do.

I wouldn't worry about the other credits.

For instance, assuming you want to do VFX work and not become a career PA, leave the PA credits off the roll. If you're a dept head (or two in this case), to me at least, adding PA credits makes you look like you're credits grabby.

So maybe:
n00bman - VFX & Grip
Sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:09 AM   #6
n00bman
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
My advice, focus on the credits you are trying to build up. The credits that could lead to the work you want to do.

I wouldn't worry about the other credits.

For instance, assuming you want to do VFX work and not become a career PA, leave the PA credits off the roll. If you're a dept head (or two in this case), to me at least, adding PA credits makes you look like you're credits grabby.

So maybe:
n00bman - VFX & Grip
Okey I see. And I agree.
When adding to IMDB. Just entering "VFX" isnt a default option.
What could suit better?
n00bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:34 AM   #7
Sweetie
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 4,329
Quote:
Just entering "VFX" isnt a default option.
What are your options?
Sweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:42 AM   #8
n00bman
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
What are your options?
https://images.imgbox.com/31/17/otZQ1q83_o.png
n00bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:05 PM   #9
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder
 
indietalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 11,149
The pulldown list includes the most common job titles. For other job titles, please choose "other" and either type it in or choose it from the browser (the icon). Please note that the job titles should reflect the person, not the task. In other words, use "script editor" instead of "script editing"; "weapons consultant" instead of "weapons consulting"; "translator" instead of "translation"; "caterer" instead of "catering".
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:44 PM   #10
n00bman
Basic Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Sweden
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by indietalk View Post
The pulldown list includes the most common job titles. For other job titles, please choose "other" and either type it in or choose it from the browser (the icon). Please note that the job titles should reflect the person, not the task. In other words, use "script editor" instead of "script editing"; "weapons consultant" instead of "weapons consulting"; "translator" instead of "translation"; "caterer" instead of "catering".
OK. But what would my job title be then?
The word or name for my position, what suits best?
n00bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


©IndieTalk