• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Audio Issue

How's everyone doing?

Could someone take a look at this video and explain to me what's causing all the bassy noise (I don't even know what to call it). It's not just the plosives. There's noise sometimes even when no one is talking.

You don't have to watch the whole thing (although it's all over the place). But even in the first 15 seconds, there's noise, and I'm trying to understand what causes this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqILOA5bdjI

Any insight would be much appreciated.
Best,
Aveek

@AcousticAl
It also seems to be happening when he's not handling his mic. Could it be something with the setup itself? Edit: The reason I ask, is because I've seen other youtubers "handle" similar microphones without any such noise.
thanks

@buscando
Thanks for the reply. No, I'm not really worried about the hum. I was more interested in the causes of the big bassy thumping sounds.

Thanks again :)
Aveek

Last edited:
It also seems to be happening when he's not handling his mic. Could it be something with the setup itself? Edit: The reason I ask, is because I've seen other youtubers "handle" similar microphones without any such noise.

Just because he's on-cam doesn't mean one of the two guests isn't smacking one of the other mics around off-cam.

Look at her mic. Its clip has loosened and the mic has rotated to a strange angle. And she bumps it a couple times on-cam in the first :20.

Shockmounts only go so far, even though some are better than others. Even high-end studio recording mics with spider shock mounts will record low-end thumps if you stand there and smack the shockmount.

Just because he's on-cam doesn't mean one of the two guests isn't smacking one of the other mics around off-cam.

Look at her mic. Its clip has loosened and the mic has rotated to a strange angle. And she bumps it a couple times on-cam in the first :20.

Shockmounts only go so far, even though some are better than others. Even high-end studio recording mics with spider shock mounts will record low-end thumps if you stand there and smack the shockmount.

Perfect. Thanks.

Back